episode 18 - a proxy's fall from grace (1)

⚒⚒

⚒⚒

Daisy felt everything around her move in slow motion as she took in her surrounding for the second time. She checked left and right, back and front, to make sure nothing was coming after her and the others.

The night was cold and windy, and they stood outside Ramere Reserves ready for a battle. It was the first time in a while she was worried of not walking out of there alive or in one piece. 

The bushes rattled and she reached for her machetes, grabbing the hilts but waiting to see what caused the noise, before drawing them out. They were surrounded by thick forestry on three sides, and behind them was the long, unfinished road - they were far away from the city. 

Knowing what they were getting themselves into, they chose that specific location to prevent mass casualties. The city had suffered enough loss.

"Where are they?" Jojo asked, anxiously. She appeared nervous, though she was the one who came up with the plan. Beside her was Sly, bounded by rope as he sat on the ground unconscious. 

"They will be here, soon," Joe replied. He was the most giddy of the group, wanting to get over with it fast. Daisy couldn't blame him. Ramere Reserve was rumored to be home to unknown monsters, and the plan involved them luring themselves into a death trap.

Bright light shun as a car drove towards them. It was a Mercedes Benz, belonging to Bush and Susan. It parked on the side of the road and the two got out, each parking multiples guns and bullets.

They were all ready.

Then someone else stepped out of the car. "Dad?" said Daisy, unsure. It was dark and the only source of light they had was from the moon. She moved close to the individual and saw Clint smiling at her.

"Hey, there, baby girl," he said, opening his arms and embracing her in a hug. 

"Hey, Dad. Where have you been?" she asked, leaning against his chest. He smelled of lavender, as usual. She looked into his eyes and saw the pain of losing his beloved was still there.

"I had to go out of town for a bit. But when I came back, your grandpa filled me in on everything that happened." He grabbed her cheeks and gently pinched them. "You shouldn't blame yourself for the children's deaths. It wasn't your fault."

Daisy looked at the ground. "Then why does it feel like it was?" There was a burning sensation in her chest whenever she thought of all those dead bodies on the road. It was one of the cruelest things she had ever seen. 

"Because you want to save everyone by getting rid of all the monsters. That's why you blame yourself. But we can't always be there for each and every one of them. As hunters, our job is to protect the masses, even if it means at the cost of a few."

Clint always knew how to make Daisy feel better. With those words, her spirit was lifted and she was ready to fight for her people. From a young age, she had sworn to protect her city and that was what she was going to do. And no monster would be able to get in her way.