episode 2 - if time could talk, it'll say life is short (1)

⚒⚒

⚒⚒

Joe and Daisy wore grey and blue suits, respectively. While the girl had on a matching neck tie, her brother donned a white bow tie. In front of them stood a black door with the number 2009 at the center.

Daisy slid her hand on it, feeling the texture. "This was once a maple tree."

"You're strange," Joe said.

"Now and then, yes." She closed her eyes and hummed. It was like she forgot why they were there in the first place. The maroon painted house should have been her concern, not the door.

Joe stared at his twin for a short time before he knocked on the door, getting Daisy out of her trance. "We came here for a case," he said.

Daisy tugged her jacket's lapel and cleared her throat. "Of course," she replied.

The locks from inside unfastened and the door opened. Ellen appeared, having dark circles under her puffy eyes. "Yes?" She drew her hand to her nose and sniffled.

"Sorry for the disturbance, ma'am, but I am Agent Shak and this-" Joe pointed at Daisy. "-Is Agent Ira. We are from the FBI." The siblings took out their fake badges and showed them to the woman.

Ellen observed the emblems, squinting. "You two look young to be policemen."

"New recruits." Joe smiled.

"And how may I help you? If this is about my daughter, I told your fellows everything I saw."

"We know. But they thought our fresh eyes and minds could spot something they didn't."

"OK, come in." Ellen pushed the door wide and stepped aside, allowing the twins to enter, before she closed it. "What more can I say? All I remember is seeing a faceless man with tentacles take my daughter. But people think I am crazy."

"You'll find we are more... open minded than our colleagues," Daisy said. "Tell us from the-"

"Who are they?" Joe interrupted, pointing at a picture on a round glass table of Ellen standing between two men. The one on her right had bronze skin tone and brown eyes - he was smiling. And on Ellen's left was a blue eyed, olive skin guy with a beard.

"That's Erman and Len," she referred to them, respectively. "My husbands."

Joe choked on his own saliva. "Who?" he asked, dumbfounded.

Ellen smiled. "My husbands," she repeated. "Aren't you Jericho people used to it? Polygamy is legal in this state." It wasn't long ago (two years to be exact) since Mayor Aroma had agreed that a man or woman could marry multiple partners.

"So you three..." He curved his left hand into an O shape and used his right index finger to probe through it.

Daisy smacked Joe's hands. "Stop it." She gazed at Ellen. "Excuse my comrade, he's curious about all things."