episode 16 - children are a curse (1)

⚒⚒

⚒⚒

Thanks to her adoptive billionaire father, Mindy lived in a hacienda on the outskirts of East Ramere. It had a huge ranch with more than twenty horses in the stables, and a plantation for coffee growth. Her father got into the cash crop business with a few investors and he wanted Mindy to look over the large estate.

She was in charge of paying the workers and making sure production went smoothly. 

Joe had only been there once, spending most of his time with Mindy at her apartment near the city center. Getting out of Jojo's black SUV, he gaped at the large mansion set beyond the sidewalk. It intimidatingly towered over him, with the chalky coating of the paint shining as the sun beat down on it, causing Joe (and everyone else) to squint. 

It was an open field, with the coffee plantation on the right side of it, while the stables and small houses where the workers lived on the left. 

As Joe stepped on the sidewalk, Sly (who he had to invite to remove suspicion) pointed at a marble fountain sitting on the right side of the neatly trimmed lawn. A creature with two horns and wings was perched on top, looking at the clear blue sky. Water spurted out of its horns and mouth and fell gently towards the crystal blue pool beneath it.

On the left side of the lawn, the bushes were trimmed into five life sized animals; lion, giraffe, rhino, elephant and crocodile. 

They look so real, Joe thought, finding the need to step out of the sidewalk and go touch them. But he stopped himself after seeing one of the female workers, a Latin woman in a white shirt and jeans, staring at him. 

Daisy stabbed the doorbell which flickered with red light around the white button. A faint ding-dong caused her to huff, waiting for someone to open the door. 

Joe understood her frustration. They were far away from the city center, and if Slenderman was to attack, they wouldn't be able to go and stop him in time. 

A young woman, seeming to be around the age of eighteen to twenty, opened the door. She wore a black and white uniform. "Hola, are you the guests of Ms. Flint?" she asked, taking a closer look at Sly, Daisy, Moon, Jojo and Somo. "Joe, como estas?" she said to the young man with a smile. 

"I am good, Maria. And you?"

"I caught my boyfriend cheating on me with Isabella yesterday when I went to visit him at his home and..." Maria stopped herself, realizing she was telling a bunch of strangers about her personal life. "Come inside, Ms. Flint is expecting you."

Joe was the last to go in. He stopped next to Maria and said, "Isabella is a slut. You deserve better than a man who sleeps with a woman like her. Go out, have fun, and you'll find yourself falling for someone who will treat you right. OK?"

"Yes." Maria nodded.

Though Joe had only met her once, the girl had taken him for her therapist and dumped all her relationship woes on him. She wasn't shy too, seeing fit to describe every detail of her sex life, hoping to get advice on how she could keep a man, instead of chasing him away.