episode 12 - the lunch lady (3)

Somo leaned on one of Dawn Hill Middle School's lockers, staring at his blue janitor's uniform while Jojo, Daisy and Joe spoke not far away from him. He had a bucket of water with a mop inside on one hand, and a Wet Floor sign on the other. 

Why do I have to clean up the floor? I thought we were only pretending to be janitors so people won't suspect us? Somo frowned. He was always the one being told what to do. I am not a child! His chest heaved back and forth. Somo do this. Somo do that. No, Somo, don't touch that. No, Somo, don't talk to that person. "I'll do whatever I want," he muttered.

"What's that, Somo?" Jojo asked, looking at him.

Somo's face lost its color. Did she hear me? Sweat formed on his forehead, afraid of what she might do or say to him. "No-Noth-Nothing. I was... um... this may... um... I had... idea."

"We are listening," said Joe.

"Um... this may be a stupid idea. You can ignore it really. It's stupid. But I was thinking... what if we go capture the lunch lady now?"

Jojo laughed. "Little brother," she shook her head, "sometimes I wonder how we are related."

"That's harsh," said Daisy.

"Shut it!" Jojo barked at her. She looked back at Somo, who had his head lowered, and continued, "I've told you multiple times that we can't catch them when the Creeper isn't controlling the body. If we did, it may hide and never come out. Thus, we will only be kidnapping an innocent human. And we don't kidnap humans," she peered at Joe and Daisy, "unless they work with monsters."

"You're right." Somo covered his face with his hands. "I am so stupid." He started crying. "Sorry for suggesting a bad idea. I'll do better next time." 

Jojo hugged him and patted his back. "How about you don't come up with ideas at all." She lifted his chin and locked eyes with him. "Leave that burden to me, OK?"

I should have stayed quiet. Why am I so useless? Somo sniffled, then nodded.

"Good."

The bell rang. It was time for those in detention to go home. It was the moment Tyler said the Creeper would start taking children. Room 44, that was where the misbehaving kids were in.

The four of them waited in the hallway. 

A female teacher walked out first. She was tall and fat, looking to be around two-hundred to two-hundred and fifteen pounds in weight. She had her hair tied into a ponytail, and her glasses hung at the tip of the nose, being held by the strings that went around her head.

She stopped and dug her hand in her green and yellow purse. While her hand was busy searching for something, her gaze was on the four young adults. She scanned them one at a time, before chuckling and saying, "Too young to waste your time being janitors."

"And what does that mean!" asked Jojo, angrily. 

The teacher pulled out car keys from her purse, looked at Jojo up and down, then walked out. The moment she exited the building, the doors locked themselves. 

Somo tried to open them, but nothing happened. He tried to break the glass window, but it didn't bulge. Daisy stood next to him and touched the window's surface. "Bullet proof. Recently installed."

Tyler, his friends, and two more kids (a boy and girl) came out. "We tried last time, but it didn't work," he referred to the window. "Two years ago, there was a shooting outside the school. One of the bullets broke through the window and shot one of the students in the chest. That's why they installed new ones."