episode 10 - midseason finale (2)

⚒⚒

⚒⚒

Even though he was reassigned back into RPD (Ramere Police Department), Detective Cole was as troubled as the day he left for rehab. Or as he later came to find out; mental institution. He tried everything; from talking to a therapist, to going to a psychic. But none of them were able to help him get his memories back. 

"They are gone forever," they all told him, but he didn't want to accept it. If indeed the memories weren't there, then why was he able to recall seeing himself entering the mental facility and leaving a year later? He knew they were still there, crawling in his subconscious, waiting to be released and reveal everything he needed to know.

Though it took him four years to get his shit together (life wise, not mentally), he was beginning to enjoy his job again. And he had one goal in mind: Arrest the Turners.

"I have eyes on the target," Cole said over his radio call, watching Joe and Daisy - dressed in cheap suits - standing outside Ellen's home. Although he hadn't managed to get enough evidence to prove they were involved in Meredith's death, he believed this was his chance to prove to everyone that they were responsible the missing children in the city.

His partner and best friend, Walker, advised him multiple times to let go of his obsession with the twins. But how could he? Each day there seemed to be a weird death in the city and hints suggesting the twins were at the scene of the crime.

It didn't take him to be Albert Einstein to put the pieces together to know that Joe and Daisy Turner were murderers. He had every intention of ending their crusade before they harmed those he loved. 

"Are you sure it's them?" Walker asked.

"I know these two like the nails on my fingers. I am positive." There was this glow of I got them now in his eyes and a smile that could send chills down a crow's body. He knew he was so close to catching them in the act, and all he had to do was follow them around. Even if it meant he had to sleep in his car forever. It was worth it to him. "They are now entering the house."

"Ellen let them in? She made me stay outside through the whole questioning. And I am a real cop," said Walker. 

"I told you, these three are working together - along with her husbands." 

A year ago, he was called back to the mental facility to retrieve some of his things that were recovered from the lost and found boxes. There was his grandmother's ring, a locket with a picture of his family, and a photo of him, Ellen, Len and Erman standing together, smiling. If only Cole could remember what had happened six years ago, then he would have had a better judgment of who Ellen, Len and Erman really were, and how they were involved in the current case.

But because he was an officer,  he investigated the three to learn about them. And the one coincidence he found is that in each of the last three towns they had been in, there were reports of missing children. 

And another coincidence? There was at least one Turner family member in each of those towns when the kids were being abducted. 

Cole pulled the radio call close to his mouth and continued, "One thing is for sure though, Ellen is one hundred percent involved. I've read her file fifty times and even spoke to some doctors she may have visited. And none of them know anything about her having a child."

"So the daughter she claims to be kidnapped is a ruse?"

"I've already told you this before, she has no daughter," Cole replied, tired of his friend always forgetting some of the things he tells him. "After I prove to everyone who Ellen really is and that she's the one kidnapping the children, not only will everyone respect me, but I will be top choice for the vacant commissioner job."

"That will only happened if you stay away from the Turners until after you have enough evidence. Unlike last time," Walker said.

Cole remembered what his friend meant. A year ago he had arrested the twins without proof on grounds that they had murdered an entire camp of gypsies, even after the two told him another hunter had gotten to them before they could.   

"I won't make the same mistake again." He turned off his radio and scooted down his chair, observing Joe and Daisy walk out of the house and back to their car. Their two friends were also in it. Moon and Sly. Clean records they had, so far.

Cole watched Moon get out of the car, go after the boy whom she had spoken to earlier and slap him so had that he fell to the ground like a stone. Then she returned to the car and the quadruple drove away. 

But the detective had noticed something weird. Ellen had been watching the four millennials the whole time. She turned to his direction, but he dropped even lower. Hope she didn't see me. Glancing over to the passenger seat, he saw an unopened bottle of whiskey and his mouth salivated. I promised myself to never drink on the job again

He peeked over the dashboard and caught Ellen leaving her house. She glanced sideways cautiously before getting in her car. Her husbands had left that in the morning to file an official police report, but Cole stayed behind to keep an eye on the true mastermind of the whole operation. 

What is her end game?

Ellen drove off, but Cole didn't follow her. The last few times he did that, the woman had realized she was being followed and had been changing her routes ever since. That was why he decided to put a locating device on her car. 

Fifteen minutes later, he followed the tracking device and arrived at a half stacked parking lot. Ellen's car was parked in front of a gift shop. He went inside and saw a slim girl with long curly hair at the register. "Have you seen a blonde woman walk in here?" he asked her.

She pointed towards the emergency door ahead. 

"Thanks." Cole rushed past through it and found himself staring at the thick forest that made up Ramere's Reserve. As a kid he was told stories about the terrifying monsters that may have been living there. But to him it was all myth made up to scare kids at night. Even though anyone who dared enter never came back. 

What is she doing? He saw Ellen run through the forest. He couldn't let her escape again. He needed to know what was going on and why she was there in the first place. Could this be where she's hiding the kids?

He ran after the woman, but quickly lost her. "Dammit!" Glancing around, he noticed he had forgotten which way he came from and he was already too deep into the forest to remember. "I can't be lost." He reached for his phone and looked at the screen. "No signal? Fuck it." He returned it back in his pocket. 

"Someone seems lost," a voice said from behind him. A female one.

He turned and saw Ellen with her two husbands, Len and Erman. The two men had on long coats, each standing on one side of their wife. 

"Master said he would tell us if Cole woke up," Len told Ellen. "Did something go wrong?"

"I don't know. I haven't spoken to him," replied Ellen.

"What are you talking about?" asked Cole, but got not answer. He pulled out the gun on his back and pointed at them. "Freeze. You're under arrest."

"For what?" Erman asked.

Cole looked around. "Trespassing."

"Just wake up Master already and have him tell us what happened," Len said.

"You sure? You know he doesn't like being told what to do," said Ellen.

"What other choice do we have?" asked Erman. "It's either we wake Master up, or we kill his meat suit."

Ellen sighed. "Fine." Then she snapped her fingers and Cole lost consciousness.