episode 2 - if time could talk, it'll say life is short (3)

⚒⚒

⚒⚒

Apart from hunting, the family home was the only place Joe enjoyed being at. The sweet honey scent from his grandparents' cologne and the smell of microwaved food reminded him he belonged there.

He opened the door and found Nana Susan in her rocking chair knitting a sweater in the living room. Joe noticed the shape of a large red heart on the chest area. "You will love this one," she said, raising the green garment in the air, smiling.

"I can't wait." Joe smiled back. It was another sweater going into his NANA MADE THESE collection. And although they weren't the prettiest, they proved to be useful during winter.

He took off his jacket and placed it on the coat hanger next to Nana before taking a seat beside Poppa Bush. "This movie is amazing," the old man said, grinning to his last tooth, watching Dumb & Dumber starring Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels. "This is Jim's best movie."

"I disagree," Joe said.

Poppa paused the movie and turned to his grandson. "Really? Name the one you think is his best?"

"The Mask, Bruce Almighty, Liar Liar, Ace Venture, and not forgetting one of the funniest movies of all time: Me, Myself & Irene."

"Liar Liar is better than Dumb & Dumber?" Poppa's jaw dropped and his eyes expanded. "I fear I didn't raise you as smart as I thought." He held his grandson's shoulder. "I have dreadful news for you. It seems you have contracted a disease doctors are calling Idiot Joe Disease. It's rare. I hoped you were spared like me and your Nana. But I was wrong." Bush shook his head dramatically. "I'm losing you to this illness." Tears welled up in his eyes. "You and Susan are all I have." He turned towards the slices of pizza on the table in front of him and added, "And pizza as well."

Joe shook his head, smiling. "I heard the Idiot Joe Disease is contagious."

Bush pulled the collar of his I LIKE EVERYTHING SAGGY t-shirt over his nose. "It can't be. I would have known."

"Then why are you covering your nose?"

"Precaution." He scooted away from the boy. "In case you're somehow telling the truth."

"I am. I.J.D is transmissible."

Poppa Bush pointed an accusing finger at his grandchild. "You infected me on purpose."

"I tried to warn you but you were busy proclaiming your love for pizza. Now it's time to infect Nana." Joe stood and tried to pounce on Susan like a lion. But she held up the sweater and said:

"This magical sweater heals all diseases. Even the ones made up right now." She put the cloth over Joe's head and pulled it off a few seconds later. "You're cured."

"Thanks, Nana." Joe smiled, cheekily. "Now, let's not give it to Poppa. Let him have Idiot Joe Disease alone."

Bush stood up. "Ar! Foolish Joe. She's me wife, she has to give me th' cure. Or else I'll infect her when we go to bed. Ar!"