episode 17 - a day to mourn (2)

⚒⚒

⚒⚒

The Grand Fountain Theater was one of the oldest theaters in the city, located downtown Ramere, not far from the Turner family home. It was known for creating high profile names like Kent Kennedy, Wilson Bandara and Carmella Knight, who went on to become broadway stars.

Joe leaned on the wall outside, staring at the sign above that said: SPECIAL PERFORMANCES TONIGHT. And below it, it read; A Poem By Authur McBride, and A Play By THE SOCIALLY AWARE And Friends.

He chuckled. What a weird name.

The Socially Aware was the group of actors who were hired to perform at multiple theaters around the country. Though they hadn't produced a star in years, the group still boasted of having brought up Wilson Bandara, a once socially awkward kid who found self-confidence among his peers and became one of the best broadway actors of his generation.

"You're late," Mindy said, coming out of the theater and giving him a hug and kiss on the cheek. "Why am I not surprised?" she quivered a brow.

Joe smiled. "My bad. I thought I could have a quick nap after the wake, but instead..."

"You fell asleep," Mindy finished his sentence. "You're always sleeping."

"What can I say," Joe put his hands on her waist and pulled her close, "you keep me up all night," he whispered.

Mindy's cheeks flushed red. "Joe, this is not the time or place for that." She grabbed his hands and drew them away from her waist. "But tonight..." She waggled her eyebrows.

"I can't wait." He smiled.

Joe hated lying to her, but he felt it was necessary this time around. Not wanting to worry her, he wasn't at home sleeping throughout the whole day. No, he was busy sharpening Mary-Kate and Ashley. He had one of his gut feelings that Slenderman wasn't done. The death of the children was only a warning and the real attack was coming soon. 

But he didn't want to tell Mindy that. The girl had blamed herself for the deaths of those kids, believing that if she hadn't invited them to her mansion far from the city center, then maybe they could have had a chance to stop it all.

Joe hated maybes. From what Gina Yanez had told the police, those kids were already dead when she saw them on the road. So there was nothing to prove that if they had stayed close by, they would have saved them. 

"Joe, what's wrong?" asked Mindy.

The young man was in a trance, trying to think of what other ways was the creeper going to attack. If he kidnapped those kids only to kill them and cause fear among Ramere residents, then something big was coming. 

From what Jojo had said about him, he absolutely loved children. So what was the reason for killing them? Even the Creeper Hunters had no answers. And Jojo had a snarky reply to everything.