episode 20 - season finale (2)

⚒⚒

⚒⚒

That night, Daisy invited her close friends and family to remember her grandparents and give a final toast to their lives. Apart from Joe, who had already left the city, and Sly, who had admitted himself to a mental hospital to rid off Slenderman's voice that was still in his head, everyone else was there. 

Also Jojo and Somo weren't there as she wasn't close to them.

Mindy and Moon had put their differences aside and sat opposite one another. Clint also came, though he was distracted by Cleo, who had showed up with Yuri. Daisy wanted to ask why her mother would bring the Elder to such an intimate occasion, but she kept quiet, glad the woman showed up at all. 

Nosey Mary crashed the dinner as usual, bringing Del Toro and Marco along. "You'll thank me after you get that after-funeral sex," she had told Daisy, before wagging her brows.

Daisy stood up, holding a glass of wine. With Joe not around, no one could stop her from drinking. Even Moon who usually nagged her about it seemed to occupied with personal issues. Daisy just assumed it had something to do with her sisters and didn't want to press her on the matter. 

"Thank you all for coming," she started, gazing around the table at everyone's face. "I don't know what to say anymore about my grandparents. Everything I wanted to say, I did so at the funeral." She paused and looked down. "It seemed I've ran out of words." She was silent for a moment. So was everyone else. 

After all these years, the more I think about it, the more I realize I didn't know them at all. They were closer to Joe, than I.

She glanced at her father and said, "Dad, you have anything to say about them?"

Clint, who's focus was solely on Cleo and Yuri, hadn't heard what her daughter asked. Everyone stared at him. He seemed like a lost man. Though both him and Cleo cheated on one another, she had moved on very quickly, and that seemed to bother him. 

"What if, instead, I take a swing at it, buckaroo? That's if you allow," Miles said, smiling. He wasn't invited at the dinner, but he insisted on being there nonetheless. He was adamant on keeping an eye on Mindy, seeming to have grown fond of her. And apart from Yuri, no one else there could kick him out. 

"Why not?" replied Daisy, taking a seat.

Miles stood up. "Now, buckaroos," he said, "personally, I had no affiliation with the two old chaps. But Mindy loved them like they were her own family, and what matters, is that." He raised his glass of wine in the air before chugging all of it. 

"Thank yo-"

"Not finished, buckaroo." He raised his forefinger in Daisy's direction and she fell silent. There was nothing worse than a drunk vampire. Him and Mindy were the first ones to arrive at the dinner. He had been drinking the whole time. "You see, buckaroos, the public may have gotten the closure they think they deserve, but what about Detective Cole's family?"

"They have gotten a reality show out of it," Moon said.

"Oh." Miles' eyes widened. "No such thing as bad publicity, it seems." He sat down.

"Anyone else?" Daisy asked.

"Yes." Nosey Mary stood and almost everyone groaned. "I'll keep it short," she promised. Raising her glass in the air, she proceeded, "I met Bush and Susan years ago. Throughout the years I was never liked by old people. They took offense to the way I spoke and dressed, and this began since I was a little girl. I blame it on my fath..." She stopped, seeming to be lost in her thoughts. Then she shook her head and went on, "I want to say is, Bush and Susan accepted me for who I was, and for that, I would never forget them." 

"To Bush and Susan," Marco said, raising his glass in the air.

"To Bush and Susan!" the rest replied before they all chugged down their drinks.

Daisy had reserved the restaurant that night for only her, her close friends and family. No one else apart from the waiting staff was supposed to be there. So when a postman in his usual uniform; white cap, white shirt and black pants, walked in holding an envelope, she quickly stood up and headed towards him.

"Sorry, this is a private dinner. Please, leave." She was alert. It could be one of their enemies trying to attack them. But who would be dumb enough to attack a dinner that had trained hunters and two Elders. The only casualties there would be Del Toro, Marco and Nosey Mary. But with the vampires' compulsion ability, they'll wipe the three's memories if anything strange happened.

The postman stopped in his tracks and said, "I have a delivery for," he looked at the envelope, "Daisy Turner."

Shocked, Daisy was silent. A delivery for me? But from who? "That's me." 

"Here you go." He handed it to her and immediately left.

Daisy observed it. Who could it be from? Joe? Someone else. No, it has to be Joe. But why didn't he just call? I already apologized

She opened it quickly and began reading it:

You're no Rose, nor Daisy. You're my Alice. See you soon.
Love, MH.

Daisy's face lost its color and her heart rate increased. "Oh, no," she mouthed, feeling the lump in her throat. "He has returned."