episode 15 - you meddling kids (3)

⚒⚒

⚒⚒

Ambulance sirens wailed from outside as Joe and Mindy stepped inside Ramere General Hospital and walked into the waiting room where the receptionist was. The room smelled of bleach and sugar from the food in the vending machine. Joe tried his best not to puke, the mix of the two distorted his stomach. 

There was a TV at the corner of the room which played quietly, keeping the patients and their carers distracted for the meantime. 

Joe and Mindy drifted over to the receptionist, Cassandra. Joe had been there with Poppa and Nana for their usual checkups, so the two were familiar with one another. 

"Joe, welcome back," said Cassandra, putting down the cup of coffee in her hand. Her smile was infectious, able to make even those having the saddest of days smile. "I don't think your grandparents have appointments today." She checked to make sure. "Yes, I was right."

"No, I am here looking for someone," he said, gazing around. There was a little girl, seeming to be around the age of nine to eleven, staring at him with an open mouth. She nudged her mother, who had an uncontrollable cough, and then pointed at Joe. 

Joe checked himself and saw blood stains all over his clothes. Nosey child. He waggled a finger towards her, making the girl look away in fear. He then turned back to Cassandra. 

"There was a guy who was brought here not more than three hours ago. He is short, bald, and has a scar above his lip," Mindy said.

"Oh, the scary Irish man?" asked Cassandra.

"Yes, him. Can you tell us which room he's in?" Joe asked.

"I'm sorry, I don't think-"

Joe placed his hands over hers. He knew she had a thing for him, and if he was going to use that to his advantage, then so be it. "You do me this favor, and I'll do anything you want in return."

"Anything?" Her green eyes sparkled with excitement. 

Joe smiled. "Anything."

"My sister is having a wedding next week. Will you be my plus one?"

Joe glanced at Mindy. She said nothing. "I would love too," he replied.

"Great," Cassandra said cheerily. "The man you're looking for is in the fifth floor, room number 55."

"Thank you." 

⚒⚒

"You didn't have to touch her hands to get the information," Mindy said, not looking at Joe. 

"Trust me when I tell you I did the right thing. Cassandra is a very suspicious woman. If I hadn't done it, then she would have started questioning why we want to see the man, what's our relationship with him, and why are my clothes stained in blood."