episode 11 - sweet as a proxy (3)

⚒⚒

⚒⚒

"The creature you're looking for is known as Slenderman. He is one of the many creepypastas on the internet," said Jojo Chaser, sagged back on the couch with her legs on the table in front. In one hand, she held a knife. And on the other, she had an apple. Slowly, she peeled the fruit with such care and precision, it was like watching a surgeon at work.

Everyone else in the room was silent, and only the sound of the blade against the skin could be heard. After Jojo was done, she threw the skin on the ground and smiled, noticing the glare Moon and Daisy gave her for treating their apartment like a garbage bin.

This may not end well, Joe thought, feeling the tension between the three women. Though Jojo was beautiful, he had learned to stay far away from her. She was like Mindy in the sense of being rich and privileged. But unlike the Marilyn Monroe look alike, Jojo was able to do anything to anyone and get away with it because her father (Mr. Apollo Chaser) was the mayor of Ramere. "What else can you tell us about him?" he asked.

Jojo took a small bite out of the apple and chewed loudly. She wasted time on purpose, knowing very well she was the last reliable source the Turners had in finding the missing children. From what Joe had heard, Jojo and her younger brother were now Creeper hunters (people who took down creepypastas).

 "We have been hunting Slenderman for months now," said Jojo, before handing over the bitten apple to her brother, Somo. But the teenager shook his head. "Take it!" she ordered, and Somo grabbed the fruit and munched on it. 

The two of them were the same coin, but two different sides. One was pro-active and the other was reactive. Jojo always bossed her little brother around, and Joe felt sorry for him. Somo never made his own decisions, always relying on his sister to do it for him. And Joe couldn't comprehend how someone could allow another person to have such power over their life, even if they were family.

"Jesus!" Daisy groaned, then turned to Somo. "Can you please tell us what we need to know?" 

Somo glanced at Jojo. "Would you... um... err... mind if-if I tell them?"  

Jojo took the apple from Somo's grasp and replied, "Suit yourself." She put an arm behind her head and leaned on it, before eating her fruit. 

Joe's chest soured listening to the two, and he clenched his hands. Can't he talk for himself? Come on, dude. Be a man! He despised how the relationship between Somo and Jojo wasn't the old fashioned brother and sister, but rather like a mother and son. But a part of him understood why. With Mrs. Chaser dying when Jojo was five years old and Somo was only one, Jojo naturally took on the roll of the mother especially with their father constantly being away on political affairs.

"I'm not... not good in explaining, but... um... I'll try. I'm sorry if I'll sound stupid. I'm not  really that smart to remember most things," Somo said with a soft spoken voice. He had his hands between his closed legs and was positioned at the corner of the couch. He looked uncomfortable, but that didn't stop Jojo from taking up the remaining free space.