episode 4 - home is where the heart is (3)

⚒⚒

⚒⚒

Joe and Mindy got out of the train and quickly rushed to the station. The wind was cold and blowing aggressively, luckily for them they had on large coats. Mindy had gone a little extra and wore an expensive fur coat. In the town they were in, it wasn't a smart decision.

Looking around, there was no one else except them. Even inside the train, they were alone for the whole three hour journey. No one went to South Yonk anymore, unless they wanted to die. But the guy who gave Mindy information about the dead dealers was there, the two had no choice.

"I really hate this place," Joe said, looking unsettled, checking left and right in case something popped up on them. He hated everything that had to do with the towns in West Of Jericho, and Yonk was among the worst of the bunch - that's why they divided it into North and South. 

Those willing were relocated to North Yonk - the South was said to be a quarantine zone after an outbreak, which was a lie. They were using it to hide the existence of blood craving, flesh eating monsters. 

"Your informant is smart to choose this place. No one ever comes here, except for those on the run." He shivered and breathed in his hands, regretting not to wear gloves after leaving his luggage at Mindy's place.

"There's a motel across the street," Mindy said, having been there before. "Follow me." She grabbed the handle of her fancy suitcase and rolled it up the stairs of South Yonk Train Station.

Joe gazed at the abandoned townhouses and shops. They were aligned unevenly, and the walls had large cracks on them. He could sense they were being watched. The town wasn't completely abandoned, those who had remained made sure not to be detected by anyone or anything.

Next up, he noticed the large fence that separated Yogu and Nkure - two main streets that made up South Yonk. He was about to touch it when Mindy said, "Be careful. That electric fence was designed to kill a whale." 

"I heard it was to keep the monsters away from Yogu," Joe said, admiring it. Ramere could have used something like that. But the mayor there wasn't convinced that monsters existed to waste the city's budget on a ridiculous fence. "The mayor of Yonk is considered a joke for believing in blood thirsty creatures, but she is the smartest of them all. I think she once encountered a monster here, and seeing some residents had refused to relocate to North Yonk, this was the only solution to protect them. And in return, those in South Yonk who knew the truth built her a statue." He pointed at a carving of Mayor Victoria in the middle of the town. Small, but brawny from being a former professional wrestler, she was considered to be stoic by most though.  

"It's funny that there's actual evidence of the existence of monsters, but people are too hard headed to accept it," said Mindy.

"True, but pranksters are ruining credibility of it all. There's been an increase in the number of people wearing monster costumes and chasing others around. Over a hundred people were killed last year for being thought of as monsters. Now the police aren't too keen on monster sighting reports."