episode 19 - where it all changed (3)

⚒⚒

⚒⚒

"Joe, be careful," a much younger Bush said as the two walked through an alley. His hair hadn't turned fully white then, and the wrinkles on his face were less. He held a pistol on each hand and his eyes were staring keenly ahead. 

He was expecting something.

Joe, on the other hand, had turned to skipping as he followed his Poppa. With a small axe on his right hand, he asked, "What are we doing here, Poppa?"

"I told you I was going to teach you how to hunt."

Joe stopped. "But that's Daisy's job," he whined, having not been a fan of going out at night to stop monster attacks in the city. 

"You're supposed to help your sister. One day, me, your Nana and parents won't be around. Daisy will need you even more, that's why you have to start training now before it's too late."

"But I don't want to kill anyone," he said, while picking his nose. He found a booger and stared at it, fascinated. "Would I die if I eat a booger, Poppa?" He brought it close to his mouth, but Bush said:

"Stop!"

"But Marko does it and he's still alive. He said boogers are healthy for our bodies."

"Boogers make you stupid. Do you want to be stupid like Marko?"

"Actually Marko is the smartest kid in class. And he has a crush on Daisy." He smiled.

"Does Daisy know?"

"Yes, but she called him stupid for liking her."

"See," Bush turned to him, "even Daisy knows he's stupid. Now don't be a booger eater, or else you'll end up like Marko."

'But-"

"Shhh, he's coming." Bush grabbed Joe's arm and pulled him close.

A werewolf appeared, it's sharp teeth showing. It sniffed the air, searching for human scent. But there was too much of it in the air and it seemed to be looking for a familiar one. When it didn't find it, it kept on walking. 

Joe and Bush came out of hiding behind the dumpster and checked to see where the creature had gone off too. Craning his head, Joe had lost sight of it. "It must have gone away. I knew it was scared of us," he said with a smile. 

Bush shook his head. "You have a lot of learning, Joe. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean-"

Before Joe could hear the rest of Bush's story, he caught the sight of the werewolf as it jumped down from the top of the building. He stood there, his body consumed with fear. His eyes were wide, and the creature's reflection could be seen from them.