Chapter 8

Liliana's pov

Today was the day. Derek was officially starting his role as Chief. Of course Meredith and I knew, but the rest of the hospital would just be officially finding out, I hadn't even told Jackson. I was also excited since today was Izzie's first day back.

"Hey." I smile seeing Jackson in the hallway.

"Hey, are one those cups of coffee for me?" He asks seeing the three cups of coffee I had with me.

"Of course." I smirk handing him a cup before giving him a kiss.

"Who are the other two cups for?"

"One for me and one for Derek before his big announcement." I smile excitedly.

"What exactly is this big announcement?" He asks.

"You'll see." I smirk kissing him before walking off to Derek's new office. I figured I'd bring him coffee since Meredith was pissed at him, so I highly doubted she would.

"Go with the blue tie. The red one reminds me of the ugly carpet my grandma had in her living room floor. God rest her soul." I say to Derek who was staring in the mirror looking at ties.

"That's nice to know." He smirks throwing the red tie on his desk and putting on the blue one.

"I figured you'd need some coffee, but it's decaf. You already seem nervous." I say setting his coffee on his desk.

"Thanks, and I am." He sighs. "Everyone in the hospital loves Richard. To them I stabbed him in the back, they're going to be mad at me just like Meredith." He sighs before sipping on his coffee.

"She's your wife. She'll come around and so will everyone else when they see how great of a job you're going to do. You're going to be a great Chief."

"Thanks at least I have one person on my side." He said "How do you feel about being on Nelson's service today? You know you're going to be working with him a lot more while I'm Chief."

"I'm a little bummed out I won't be in the O.R. with my best friend as much, but at the end of the day you deserve this position and maybe Nelson can teach me something new even if he isn't on your level." I say trying to be hopeful. I stayed with Derek for a little while, so he could read me his speech he had written up for the announcement.

"Okay, it's time." I tell him.

"I'm not ready." He sighs.

"Yes, you are. You're going to do great and I'll make sure everyone claps when you finish. Now go!" I tell him pushing him out of his office and closing the door behind us. I found Jackson who was in the crowd of doctors waiting for Derek as he prepared to read his speech.

"What the hell is he wearing?" Callie says looking at Derek in his new jacket as Chief, which was pretty long.

"He looks nice." I say.

"Yeah, he looks very Chiefly." Owen agreed.

"He looks like the undertaker." Cristina says making Owen laugh.

"I promised him we'd clap when he finishes." I tell everyone.

"I wanna thank you all for being here." Derek begins his speech. "I know you're busy, so I'll try to make this quick. As you may have heard, I have been appointed the new interim Chief of Surgery. It's my personal goal to make this transition as smooth as possible. I know we've had a rocky few months."

"Here it comes." Alex says.

"Mistakes have been made." Derek continues.

"He's talking about the merger." Alex says.