Chapter 75

Liliana's p.o.v.

"We're only like 15 minutes late." Jackson says as we get on the elevator.

"That's not the point. The point is we shouldn't be late at all, I hate late. When surgeons are late, people die. And you know we wouldn't be late at all if you would've just put the key on the hook. That's why I always put it on the hook by the door, so we know where it's at and it doesn't get misplaced." I grumbled folding my arms.

"Lily, I know that but, you know I'm not a hook kind of guy." He says.

"And I'm not a can't find my keys kind of girl." I remark.

"See, but that's what I'm saying. I do me and you do you, well I do you too, but you get the point." He smiles as he wraps his arms around me and kisses my neck.

"Avery, stop it. You know that's my weak spot and we're not having sex. I'm still mad at you." I say shrugging him off of me. It's been a couple of days since Jackson and I had our argument about kids and we've been arguing off and on about it ever since without making any kind of progress.

"That's not what you were saying this morning." He smirks.

"That was not to satisfy you. It was solely for my needs." I say as we walk out of the elevator to the front desk where Owen is speaking.

"There is a viral infection running rampant through this hospital. It feels like flu symptoms then G.I. stuff. It goes without saying that soap, water, and hand sanitizer are your best friends and if you do feel sick, and you can go home, then go home." Owen says to all of the doctors as I read my charts. I'm not really concerned about getting sick I never get sick. I think my body is so used to trauma that things like simple viruses don't affect it at this point.

After I read over my charts, I meet Leah who's on my service today, before going to prep my patient and going to the O.R. to start operating.

"Murphy, suction right here." I say before Leah begins suctioning.

"Yes ma'am." She nods. It was obvious from the nasally sound of her voice that she was stuffed up and congested.

"Murphy, are you sick?" I ask looking at the expression on her face and the grayish color of her skin.

"Yes ma'am, but I'm pushing through." She says.

"Good, because that's what surgeons do. We conquer illnesses." I say "Actually, go conquer your illness elsewhere I don't need you contaminating my patients." I say before Leah leaves and I focus back on the surgery. After I finish I take the patient to recovery, before grabbing my lunch then going to Derek's office.

"Yeah, this is a U.S. project, but I believe our best approach is to open our doors to welcome your participation. You know we're trying to gain a comprehensive understanding of the most complex object in the world, our brain. We are willing to take every great mind we can access to do it, your minds. We welcome you. Thank you for joining us." Derek says reading a speech he prepared to Bailey who laid in his carseat looking around the room. There are a bunch of scientist from all over the world coming to the hospital today to hear Derek speak to them about the sensors he created for brain mapping. "That was great. You did a good job." Derek smiles at Bailey not aware that I'm in the room.

"Derek, why are you torturing Bailey with this speech?" I ask making my presence known.

"I needed an audience. How about you sit and let me go over this again with you, okay?" He says. I'm pretty sure I know this speech by heart already. I mean I helped him write it and he literally already read it to me a thousand times.

"You know what? I'm going to leave my lunch here and I'm going to take Bailey back to daycare so he can nap and be surrounded by children instead of listening to a speech he can't even understand and then I'm going to come back and let you read me the speech one more time." I sighed.