Chapter 18: Hospital

"How are you?" I ask Jason once the door behind me is closed.

He semi smiles, his one eye basically closed with a bruise, "better than that night from the woods." He brings up the memory and his semi-smile grows into a wider one.

I chuckle as well remembering that night, "that poison ivy was a bitch."

"Oh, don't go there. You had it so much better than me." He spits back through the grin,"I was actually jealous."

"Yes, yes I did." I don't argue, remembering the injuries he sustained after jumping from a tree on my dare, "I'm sorry this happened to you." I say, stepping closer towards him.

"They're saying someone cut my breaks, it wasn't an accident." He tells me, "I don't think I was supposed to make it out alive." His voice cracks, wincing in pain when he talks.

"I'm sorry," I say again at his words, feeling bad for him in lying in that bed.

He shakes his head "no, I'm sorry." He replies, trying to sit up further. I move closer, wanting to help him and I take his hand to help, "this guy, this guy is coming after me. You were just collateral damage."

"Why is he coming after you? Who is he?" I ask him, his hand still entangled with mine.

"I don't know, just that we share DNA from my father's side. I tried to talk to him but he shut me out, he won't take my calls." He informs me.

"You have a brother?" I ask, the familiarity of their faces clearly obvious. I thought he could've had a brother or a cousin after seeing him in Mrs. Blaine's apartment, but I didn't care to think much about him, to actually know for sure.

He coughs for a moment and points towards a glass on the side table. I grab it, handing it to him and wait for him to finish before taking it and placing it back, "it appears so. I just can't bear to think about what happened to you." His head shakes further "I am so sorry Addison, it's all my fault."

I sigh, wanting to say it's okay, wanting to forgive him but I can't get those words to form out of my mouth. All I can get out is, "I know."

"You know, when you came to the city, all I wanted to do was to get back together with you. Some of the best times of my life were when we dated Freshman year." He tells me openly, looking at me with kindness but also some sadness shimmering in his eyes.

"Stop." I try to defer from having that conversation with him, right here, right now.

"I mean it. I see all my friends getting married, settling down with kids and I thought back to all the women I've been with and yours is the face I see that happening with." His words are kind but don't mean anything to me anymore. Jason was fun and nice, but he isn't someone I wanted to end up with, it's the main reason I ended it back then.

"Jason." I sigh his name, trying to find a way to be nice about this.

"I know, I'm not who you want to be with. I just wanted to tell you all this in case I don't get a chance to again." He says lowly.

"Stop, you'll get out of here and we'll both be just fine," I assure him, putting my hand on his forearm and squeezing for good measure.

The door to the room opens and my body freezes when the familiar twitching eyes from Mrs. Blaine's apartment comes into view, "what a touching moment!" He smiles, pulling the nurses mask off of his face.

"Jason!" I squeeze his arm tighter now, my legs locking and my heart racing.

There's a gun in his right hand, pointed directly at me but his eyes are staring down at Jason, "do you even know who I am?" He snarls towards him.