Chapter 71: Arraignment

In court the next morning I'm shaking while sitting behind the desk next to Mrs. Flynn. She ran through everything that would happen, that this will be relatively quick and I'll be out of court before 10 am. Luckily, Lori believes that I didn't do this and is letting me keep my job and come to work late today. Although I can't work with any kids at the moment, I can still work in the office. Sonny, Olivia, and Fin are all in the courtroom to support me, but I find it hard to even turn and look at any of them. The Bailiff starts things off, "all rise! The court is now in session. The Honorable Judge Grotto presiding. All those having business before this honorable court are admonished to draw near, give their attention, and they shall be heard."

The Judge calls out, "In the matter of the People of the State of New York verse Addison A. Collins. Counsel, please state your appearances. What is your full true name?

Barba comments, "ADA Rafael Barba for the state of New York."

My lawyer states her name then looks to me, telling me it's time to state mine, "Addison Anne Collins."

The judge says to me, "Ms. Collins if at any time during these proceedings there is anything that you do not understand or which confuses you, please stop me so that either the court or your attorney can clarify it or explain it to you." I nod along, listening intently to what he's saying. He looks to Barba, "Mr. Barba, will you please state the charges that have been made against the defendant in this case.

Barba goes over the charges, "Endangering the welfare of a child. A misdemeanor. Criminal sale of a controlled substance to a child. B Felony."

"It is my understanding that the defendant is planning to plead not guilty to the charges brought by the People?" The Judge reads off a paper at the plea we put in, "before I take your plea, I must ensure that you understand your constitutional and statutory rights." He then spends the next 10 minutes reviewing all of my rights and making sure I understand them. At the end, he asks, "do you understand these rights?"

I answer, "Yes, your honor."

The judge asks next, "Ms. Collins, have you discussed all these rights, including your right to a trial by jury, your right to confront and cross-examine witnesses, and your right against self-incrimination, with your attorney? Have you discussed your case and defense of your case with your attorney?"

I answer again, "Yes, your honor."

He questions, "Ms. Collins, do you understand each of these rights that I have explained to you? Do you have any questions?"

I repeat the same 3 words again, "yes, your honor. I have no questions."

He then addresses my lawyer, "Mrs. Flynn, do you believe that you have had enough time to discuss this case with your client? Have you discussed her rights, defenses, and the possible consequences of her plea with her? Are you satisfied your client understands these things?"

My lawyer assures him I do, "I am, your honor."

He then asks, "Ms. Collins, are you prepared to enter your plea?"

I reply, " I am, your honor." My voice trembles though, feeling as if it's not even me speaking.

He clearly states, as if Sonny and his entire precinct can't hear him already, "Ms. Collins, you are charged in the complaint with a felony violation of section 220.48 and misdemeanor violation of section 260.10 of the New York Penal Code, in which it is alleged you knowingly and unlawfully sold a controlled substance to a minor under the age of seventeen and knowingly acted in a manner likely to be injurious to the physical, mental or moral welfare of a child less than seventeen years old or directed or authorized such child to engage in an occupation involving a substantial risk of danger to his or her life or health. To that charge, what is your plea?"

I reply, trying to sound as confident and assuring as possible, "not guilty, your honor." Although I know I didn't do any of this, it's horrifying as hell standing on this side of a courtroom. After everything I went through with the rape and the murder and trial of my old neighbor, I never in a million years thought I'd be on this side. Being charged with endangering a child and providing him with alcohol. I was an elementary school teacher, I loved working with kids, always have. I always felt I could connect to them, but now that will all be turned and used against me. By a man who works alongside my fiance. I try my hardest to keep any tears from forming in my eyes, needing to keep my face strong while in court.

Judge Grotto accepts my plea, "the court finds that the plea was freely and voluntarily made with an understanding of the nature of the charges pending as well as the consequences of the plea. The court finds there is a factual basis for the plea. The court accepts the defendant's plea of not guilty. We must now schedule a preliminary hearing within the next ten days. On the matter of bail, what say you, Mr. Barba?"

Barba replies, "the defendant has no prior arrests, no reason to believe she is violent. If she surrenders her passport then we recommend release on the defendant's own recognizance, your honor."

"Counsel?" the Judge asks my lawyer.

She replies, "no objection, your honor."

He nods, "alright, you may step back to your seats. Order. After arraignment of the accused, she pleaded not guilty to the offense charged. The parties are reminded that there will be no evidence that may be presented and admitted in this trial if they are not formally marked and identified in the course of the preliminary conference, unless for a good cause shown. It goes without saying that the court expects both the parties and their counsel to appear at the pre-trial conference and the preliminary conference in this case. I mean that their presence is compulsory. Are there any matters that we need to discuss now?" He waits for either lawyer to say something and when they don't, he states, "if there are none then we are adjourned." He bangs his gavel and it's over.