Chapter 47: Secrets

Charles Morales, the governor of New York is meeting me in 3 hours for a rendezvous. It wasn't easy to get him to come out tonight but with some flirting and promises that I don't intend to keep, I convinced him to meet me. Of course, he wanted to go to a swanky hotel under a fake name he's probably used before, but I managed to assure him that where I wanted to go, would put me way more in the mood to do things to him. Gross. I can't find any online maps or inside photos of the address Jacob gave me but I assume it's a building, somewhere enclosed. I work next on figuring out how I am going to get away from the officer posted outside my complex. I go for a dry run, to see if I can even get to the corner market without him following me. I get downstairs and as soon as I hit the sidewalk, he hops out of the car and walks right alongside me, "can I help you with something Ms. Collins?"

"I just need to run to the store for something, I'll be right back." I try to assure him with a small smile.

He keeps his pace with mine, "I can get you whatever you need, you should really head back to the apartment and stay inside."

I stop, looking at him like I'm embarrassed, "I need tampons." I whisper like it's a secret.

He looks down at his feet then back to me with a small blush on his face, "I can uhh, we can get that or I can go with you. But lieutenant Benson told me to keep you in your apartment so it would be best if you went back upstairs."

I give him a thankful grin, "ok, I need the super kind, Tampex." I turn back around and head to my apartment, needing to come up with a new plan. I stay in the doorway as Officer Thomas makes a phone call, for what I'm assuming is someone to grab me the tampons that I don't actually need.

Within the next 35 minutes, the officer comes upstairs to drop off the tampons I asked for, "is there anything else I can get you?" He asks.

I know then what I can do to get away from him, "I haven't stayed here in awhile so I don't have like, any food. Would it be okay if I ordered dinner?"

He nods, "delivery is fine."

I bite my lower lip, "the thing is, I'm allergic to gluten" I lie, "and the only gluten free take out doesn't deliver here, so someone would have to pick it up."

He sighs, dropping his head but saying, "alright, what's the place?" He takes out a notepad.

I give him a name of a place that I know only does take out and not delivery and then give him a few things I want him to order for myself. "Alright, I'll call it in for you, is there anything else?" He asks one more time.

"That's all, thanks!" I say with a small grin and shut the door. I quickly change into some jeans, sneakers, and a loose tank top. I place the gun from Sonny's gym bag in my waistband, making sure the safety was on as he taught me earlier and go to my window. I wait and watch officer Thomas in the car. An hour later, another officer comes to his car with a bag and I know I need to move. I quickly leave my apartment, heading into the stairwell. I walk down the steps and stay hidden behind the door, waiting to hear the familiar sound of the elevator doors opening. Once they do, a button is pushed and I hear the doors close. I then dart out of the stairwell and towards the front door. Once at the door, I look both ways, assuring the officer who brought the food was gone. Once I'm sure he's not around, I turn right out of my building and hurriedly walk a few blocks down where I can catch a cab to my next stop. I give the taxi driver the address I was given and he starts the drive. As I get closer to the address I go to pull out the phone to build some motivation, "shit." I mumble, realizing now I left it behind. It won't take long for Sonny's unit to go to my apartment and find it, but I should still have enough time to get to Sonny.

The taxi stops in front of a bar, "next doors locked up, I'm assuming this is where you want to be?" He asks, tallying up the meter.

"Yes, this is where I wanted to go!" I smile in return, passing forward the money I owe him, "thanks!" I call back just before closing the door. He drives away and I walk to the old building, looking around for any information. I don't know what I'd do if I got anything, but I'm hoping it would make me feel better. Next time I look down at my watch, it's 10:48 and Charles is suppose to meet me at 11. I pace the grounds, trying to keep calm about the unsure future. A car pulls onto the street and their lights go off. It pulls up directly in front of the building and Charles Morales comes out, "Hello Charles." I say to him, walking closer to his car.

"Is this really where you want to meet? I can get a real nice room at the Hilton, or a suite at the Ritz." He offers, closing the door and wrapping a hand around my waist, pulling me close to him.

"Mmmm, no prying eyes here." I mutter back, willing the vomit to stay down in my throat. He tries to kiss me and I move my head so he gets my neck. He kisses it a few times while I try to urge him inside, "come on, there's a room in here." I say and start walking toward the entry way.