Chapter 30

"We're going to a carnival?!" Adelaide said excitedly from her car seat. Corey nodded his head from the front, pulling into the parking lot where he could park the van. Only his parents car had the car seat for his sister in it, so he had to drive that one instead of his own. He wasn't complaining, but he just wasn't used to driving it.

"That's right!" He smiled at her through the rear view mirror. They pulled into a spot that was somewhat in the middle of the giant parking lot, and pulled the key from the ignition. "You ready?" He turned around to face her and she nodded frantically.

He chuckled to himself, stepping out of the car and closing the door. Adelaide looked around outside her window until he reappeared to help her out, since the car was too tall for her to step out of herself. She'd already unbuckled herself and lifted her arms up so he could pick her up and put her down on the ground.

Closing the door behind her, he grabbed her hand and waited behind the car for another to pass. Once it had, they walked down the concrete in the direction of the carnival. Corey glanced down at the short blonde, who still had his hoodie on, and smiled as her eyes lit up at the colourful ferris wheel.

They got to the gates and Corey had to let go of his baby sister to pay for the tickets.

"How many?" The woman in the box office asked.

"Two. Both youth," he replied.

"What're the ages?" She asked, one eyebrow raising.

"I'm 17 and my sister is 5," he replied. She nodded simply, smiling at the thought of them going to a fair together.

"That'll be $30," she told him.

"Alright," he nodded, looking down to pull his wallet out of his pocket. When he looked down he expected to see a smiling little girl, but instead all he saw was concrete.

"Adelaide?" He looked up. "Adelaide?" He asked again. This time he turned around to look through the small crowd of people. "Adelaide!" He called.

He walked away from the box office and pushed passed people in the open area, and looked around. Corey continued to walk around until he heard a little giggle. He knew for a fact it was his sisters. There was no giggle as adorable as hers. There was a large tree near the entrance to the parking lot, so he walked over to it.

As he got closer, he saw a little girl, who had blonde hair, standing next to the tree. He noticed she was wearing his hoodie, and let out a huge sigh of relief, blinking his eyes closed. When he opened his eyes and walked closer, he noticed something else. She was talking to a boy, who looked about the same age, maybe older by a year or two, as himself. And he was wearing strange clothing.

He furrowed his brows, and began to take a step forwards. But as he did, he made eye contact with the boy. Something made him uncomfortable, made him freeze in place. The boy had green eyes, and was dressed strangely. Corey saw something in the boys eyes. Well, multiple things.

Anger.

Jealousy.

Hatred.

Determination.

But none of those scared Corey. What scared him the most, is that behind this boy's eyes, he saw a true horror.

He saw evil.

Corey shook his head to himself and started to walk closer, but as he did, he saw the boy tense up, and grab hold of his sister.