10. Congee and Chinese Apparel

Chapter 10: The Good Girl's Promise• CONGEE AND CHINESE APPAREL •

CONGEE AND CHINESE APPAREL •

KIMBERLY •

Two spacious and boring days flew by, and before I knew it, it was Monday once again. The one day in which every kid, teenager, and adult hates. Monday.

Friday night after running away from Ryder's house, I haven't answered Adrienne's calls nor the window calls from Ryder. That night I somehow awoke in my bed, even though I had no remembrance of getting there. The nightmares flooded my head and I jolted awake from the sleep that somehow overtook me.

Over these two days, I haven't seen my brother often. Yet, I haven't left my room often either. Those two days I caught up on next weeks homework, re-read a couple of books, and wrote in my journal while drawing in the window seat.

Now, as the fear of those monsters from my sleep came in full force (waking me up), I now lay on the sweaty sheets staring at the blank ceiling. As if the wise ceiling could give answers to all of problems.

The moving cardboard boxes have been packed away as all of my possessions fill the room around me. I peeled back the covers from my cold and sweaty body. The slight sunlight that peaked from my window shades illuminated off of my sickly-looking skin.

My brother's annoying voice wasn't echoing down the hallway, and his joke weren't filling the air like a soft melody. I've been so caught up in my own misery that I haven't realized that my brother wasn't his usual self. With that thought on my mind, I hopped onto the cold hardwood floors and trailed down the hallway to my brother's door.

From where I stood, I could hear his mumbling voice through the other side. He was talking to someone so quietly that I couldn't hear his words. Questions flew through my head and I was left to wonder who could my brother be talking to at seven in the morning.

I leaned in further and pressed my ear against the cold oak door.

Then, the floor squeaked beneath my feet and the fell open slightly with a long whine. I cursed myself for being so stupid.

Damn you, Kimberly. I felt my inner self beat me up and curse at my own stupidity. The sound of footsteps echoed towards the door and I could feel a cold sweat break across my forehead.

Run, run, run stupid! My inner voice chanted.

The last thing I wanted to happen was my brother to catch me ease dropping on a private conversation. Especially if it was his private conversation. My brother enjoys his privacy and if I invaded his space again. . .then I'm better off dead.

I won't ever forget the time that I was ease dropping on his girlfriend and him having a very explicit  conversation over the telephone. I was in tenth grade and giggling like a school girl as I heard them "mating" each other over the phone. My brother found me outside of his door and he literally plunged me into our nearest bathroom toilet.