Chapter 25

Kiera woke up just hours after she had fallen asleep. She felt restless. She had energy, too much energy.

So she got up and walked to her bathroom. Her face stared back at her. Mismatched hair all over the place, purple eyes gleaming with nerves and skin paler than before.

She sighed and went to work on her hair. She worked her fingers through it slowly and carefully, combing out the bigger knots. Then she grabbed an actual fine toothed comb and went through the rest of her hair. The comb got stuck in tangles and she had to pull them apart with her fingers.

Finally, her hair was back to its normal shiny self. She splashed cold water on her face to try and cure her fuzzy head to no avail.

She slowly put on her catsuit and cloak and strapped her sword across her back under the cloak. She braided her hair in one long plait over one shoulder and strapped her wrist knives on.

The hallway that held all of the rooms was empty and silent when Kiera left her room. She crept down the hallway to the control room. It was dark and the screens were blank.

She sighed and left the room. She traveled up the ship until she found a room made of windows. The stars and nebulas shone back at her. Colours and light blinked far away, casting her in a silvery glow.

A smile crept onto her face.

"Kiera?" A quiet voice said behind her. Kiera turned to see Pidge standing behind her, rubbing her eyes sleepily.

"Pigeon? What are you doing up?" She asked. Kiera walked and stood in front of Pidge.

"Well, I had woken up and I heard you leave your room." She said "No one leaves their room in the middle of what we say is the night unless something is bothering them."

Kiera's eyes cast downwards "I am not worried about anything."

"That was a horrible lie." Pidge said "From a thief, I would've expected better."

Kiera huffed "Okay, fine. I'm worried about the dinner party. What if we are discovered? What if we don't get the coordinates from Sendak? I promised I'd find your father and brother. I have to find them. If I don't... how will I live with myself knowing I let some of my favourite people down?" She was rambling.

A hint of a smile ghosted Pidge's lips "I'm one of your favourite people?"

"Did I say that?" Kiera blushed a little and scratched the back of her neck.

Pidge nodded "Yeah."

"Oh." Kiera's voice had gone up an octave. They stood there in semi-awkward silence.

Kiera took Pidge's hand in hers "Pigeon, I don't know if I've said this yet, but I trust you. I hope you trust me too. If you weren't coming to the dinner party I don't know how I would've managed." Her face grew redder with every word.

"I think you could go down there all by yourself, infiltrate the party, get the coordinates and make it out of there in about half a minute without getting caught." Pidge's voice was heavy with sleep.

"Thanks." Kiera whispered.

Once again, silence fell upon the two girls as they held hands, surrounded by the star filled galaxy.

"I-I don't know how to put this." Pidge admitted "I'm better with machines than humans. But..." she trailed off as if she didn't want to say it.

"I think I know what you mean." Kiera said "We are friends. Good friends. You're probably the best friend I've had in a long time." She squeezed Pidge's hand "I don't know what I would do if you were captured and tortured."

Pidge squeezed back "I'm not going to get captured. Especially with how you sacrificed yourself for me when you were stabbed and bleeding out on the floor."

Kiera laughed. It filled the quiet room. She whispered, so low that nobody but Kiera could hear "사랑해."

"I need to get to sleep." Pidge said. Kiera reluctantly let go of her hand "Goodnight, Kiera."

"Goodnight, Pidge." Kiera said. Pidge walked from the room.

Kiera stood there for a long time after that, hand still out as if it were still being held. Her hand felt cold. She wanted to keep holding Pidge's hand. She wanted to protect her.

She violently shook her head. She couldn't let this distract her. She needed to be on top of her game today. The dinner party was in less than half a day and she could not be distracted.

Kiera marched back to her room and lay on her bed, determined to get at least a few hours of sleep

Right as she fell asleep, she remembered holding Pidge's hand.

Kiera fell asleep with a smile on her face.