Chapter 42

Once Kiera and Lance entered the control room, she stood beside the door and leaned against the wall. The ship had wormholed away from the prison ship while they were walking. Kiera had, obviously, fallen over. There had been much cursing.

"Your Highness, next time we wormhole, please tell me." Kiera said "I'd rather not get thrown to the floor everytime that happened, you know?"

Allura turned "Oh, sorry, Kiera. But we needed to get away pretty quickly."

"You should learn to balance better." Coran noted "You may be a thief and excellent fighter, but you have absolutely terrible balance." Kiera walked up behind him and shoved him over. He fell on his side.

Kiera snorted "Learn some balance, Coran."

He stood and shoved her back. Kiera laughed and shoved him again. Pretty soon, there was an all out shoving war.

Allura put a finger to her temple and said "Alright, enough you two."

The two stopped shoving each other. Kiera smiled at Coran and went back to her spot by the door. Coran went back to focusing on helping Allura pilot the ship.

"So, Kiera, when are you leaving?" Allura asked.

Kiera smiled crookedly at her "Eager for me to leave, Your Highness?"

Allura went pink "N-no, I-"

"I'm kidding." Kiera said "Calm down. One of my specialties is making people uncomfortable."

"Well you certainly are good at it." Allura crossed her arms. Coran laughed.

"But, yes, I am leaving. As soon as Commander Holt is healed and well. Then I'm leaving." Kiera said.

Keith leaned against the wall next to her "Kind of wish you didn't have to leave. I just got my sister back and now she's leaving again."

"Well, won't be so bad." Kiera cocked her head at him "You've got Lance."

Keith flinched and turned bright red. Lance whipped his head around in his chair. The two made eye contact for a second. Their faces went redder.

Kiera clutched her stomach in laughter "Oh my gosh! This is too easy! But really, what was I expecting from you guys? I mean it's not like you're the defenders of the universe. Oh wait..."

Allura whipped around and yelled "Of course we are the defenders of the universe and furthermore- wait. You're messing with me."

Kiera was trying so hard to hold in her laughter that she had tears in her eyes. She nodded slowly. Allura huffed and turned back around.

That did it. Kiera was on the floor, laughing her head off in a matter of milliseconds.

Keith nudged her with his foot "Its not that funny, sis." Kiera laughed harder. His face went redder. She laughed for a good long time.

Hunk eventually came up from the kitchen with his cookies and sat down in his chair. He kept giving Kiera weird looks from her place on the floor. Shiro, Pidge and Commander Holt came into the room and found Kiera face down, giggling uncontrollably with her limbs splayed in all directions.

"Um, what's wrong with Kiera?" Pidge asked.

Lance huffed "She's fine."

Kiera lifted her head and yelled dramatically "No, I'm dying!" and slammed her face back on the floor. Maybe a little too hard. She winced and said "That was a bad idea."

Shiro addressed the group "So what now?"

Kiera rolled over onto her back, still giggling, to listen to the conversation.

"Well, we do need some supplies." Allura said "And we should get Commander Holt into a cryopod. He needs to heal. And, to be honest, I want to get rid of Kiera."

Kiera spoke from her place on the floor "She's just mad because I made her get mad at me for no reason. She's mad because she didn't recognize my sarcasm."

"Of course I'm not." Allura said "Well, fine. I'm a little mad."

"Haha! Success!" Kiera sat up and punched the air with a fist.

Allura rolled her eyes "Anyway, we need to-"

Kiera tuned out and focused instead on the four little forms crawling around Allura's feet. Mice. Four little mice were on the ship. The mice were running in circles and seemed to be playing some sort of game. Strange. Could mice think?

Simplicity bounced off the floor next to her and she jumped. He popped at her.

"Fine." She whispered and grabbed him. She flipped a little compartment open, disassembled some wires, pressed a few buttons and Simplicity fell with a thunk next to Kiera.

He popped exasperatedly at her and strutted away, to Pidge.

"Kiera?" Allura snapped Kiera to attention.

"Hm? What'd I miss?" She asked.

Allura sighed "You and Pidge are going to get the Commander into a cryopod while the rest of us go to a nearby planet to gather supplies. Alright?" Kiera gave her a thumbs up. Allura blinked at her, bewildered.

"Wait, do you seriously not know what a thumbs up is?" Lance asked.

Kiera snapped her fingers at him "Oi, Tinfoil, don't steal my words."

Shiro blinked "Tinfoil?"

"It's his new nickname." Kiera grinned mischievously.

"I refuse to answer to Tinfoil." Lance crossed his arms.

"What? Why?" Kiera demanded "I do believe it is one of the best nicknames I've ever given to anyone. Ever." She pretended to be offended.

Lance blinked "Really?" He sounded almost hopeful.

Kiera deadpanned "No." Shiro laughed.

"Oh, Kiera," Shiro said "You'll need to carry the Commander. I practically carried him up here."

"No you didn't." The Commander said "I practically carried you."

Kiera swung her head between the two "Now I'm not sure who to believe." She shrugged and stood up. Then, walked over to Shiro and lifted him over her shoulder like a sack of potatoes.

He yelled in surprise "Kiera! Put me down!"

"I thought you needed to be carried." She winked at the Commander.

"I said, put me down!" He yelled.

"Fine." She dropped him "Sorry Space Dad."

He pinched the bridge of his nose and spoke semi playfully and semi seriously "You know, Allura, I agree. I want Kiera to leave."

"Well, I'll be gone pretty soon, not to worry." Kiera wasn't hurt by his words. She wanted to leave anyway. Finally, Kiera got on task and hoisted the Commander over her shoulder like a sack of potatoes.

"Well, sir, let's get you healed." She walked out of the room with Pidge.

"She's really weird." Kiera heard Lance say "She gives people respect sometimes but mostly just annoys people."

"Kind of like you." Keith said.

Lance fake gasped "Hey!"

"I'm just surprised she was able to lift me..." Shiro mused "She's stronger than we give her credit for."

Keith snorted. Then, the door closed and Kiera didn't hear anything else. She smiled over at Pidge. Pidge smirked back.

Kiera focused on walking.

Then, she felt Pidge press her lips to Kiera's nose. Kiera gasped a little and turned red.

Pidge smirked at her "Payback." then ran off down the hallway.

"Hey! Pigeon!" Kiera shouted after her. Then she asked the Commander "Has she always been like this?"

"Annoying yet adorable?" He asked "Of course. Since she could walk."

Kiera laughed. She really had missed him.