Chapter 35

Kiera walked through a hallway, heart in her throat. She had stopped crying because she had no more tears to cry. Her eyes were puffy and red and her cheeks were covered in tear stains. The blood on her catsuit had dried a while ago, leaving rust red marks and blotches on the crisp white fabric.

The images of Zavesti's dying body and blood spilling onto the floor replayed over and over in her mind. It felt like enough to make her go insane. She didn't want to talk to anyone.

Especially not her brother or Shiro. They had seen the whole thing. They had seen how much of a monster she was and how much of a murderer she was. Kiera had no desire to see their faces. If she saw them, she'd probably break. And then maybe die.

She deserved to die.

Nothing can relieve the feeling of killing someone.

A year or two ago, after Kiera had escaped from Galra prison the first time, she had been almost psychotic. She had felt no emotion or empathy for a solid six months. She had been mugged a few times during that time period.

The space patrols had never figured out who had stabbed those three aliens in that alley to death.

She knew. She had stabbed them. All three of them.

Kiera didn't like talking about her past much. It felt like giving away what had happened in her past meant giving away herself. She had to protect herself.

But, now, after remembering how utterly depressed she had felt after regaining her emotions and realizing she had killed three people, she felt the desire to tell someone to kill her. Or to go out into space without an oxygen helmet. Her body would literally wither like a plant and probably dissolve.

Kiera focused on her feet as she walked, not paying any attention to where she was.

Her steps echoed off the walls, sending strange tapping sounds down the hallway. She could hear the echo fade off in both directions.

She just hoped no one else could.

Her feet brought her to the window room she had found the night before the dinner party. Had that really been only a day and a half ago?

The room was illuminated by the glowing stars all around it. Kiera stood in the middle of the room and slowly turned in a full circle. Space was vast and endless. She could disappear into space and never return, never see anyone she had known ever again.

"Matt. Commander Holt." Her voice caught as she remembered her promise. She needed to get them back to Pidge. Then she could leave. And when she left, who knew?

She could go back to a life of thievery and thuggery. She could go back to Earth and live out a normal rest of her life. She could turn herself in to the Galra and die in the prison. She could join a rebel team and just cause minor chaos around the universe.

The possibilities were endless.

Kiera's eyes scanned the constellations and stars around her. The stars made her feel at peace.

"Kiera?" A soft voice behind her shook her out of her daydream.

Kiera fixed her eyes ahead of her and said "Go away."

The person said nothing. Kiera heard them step closer to her.

She scowled "I said, go away."

The quiet voice said "No."

"Why am I so important all of a sudden?" Kiera burst "Why is the murderer still being respected? Why are you here to talk to someone who has killed people?!?"