Chapter 3

I walked to the greenhouse and drank my hot chocolate. It might be March 17th but it was still freaking cold. I walked up the spiral staircase to the greenhouse. As I walked in I saw Adam standing in the middle of a patch of flowers. He had his hands behind his back. As I walked over to him he smiled.

"Hey," he said. "Happy birthday."

"Thanks," I said hugging him. He embraced me and I laughed a little.

"What's so funny?" he asked.

"I'm honestly not sure. I guess I just needed a hug." I said pulling away.

"Well whenever you need one just know I'm here."

"Okay. Hey can I ask you a question?"

"Sarah you can ask me anything."

I took a deep breath, "Carter or Jacob?"

"Pardon?" He stiffened.

"Which name do you like better?'"

"Oh..." He let out a breath as if he had been holding on in.

"Wait let me guess, you thought I was talking about the boys that go to the mundie school downtown the I'm friends with. I can't believe they don't know I'm a shadowhunter! and plus their names and John and Steven. Now Carter or Jacob?"

"Honestly, Carter."

"Great! Okay so what did you want me up here for?"

"Just so say happy birthday. Oh and to give you this." He said putting his hands from behind his back to in front of him.

"What is it?"

"Open it up you'll see."

I took the box out of his hand. I slowly opened it up. Inside was neckless. It was a locket. I opened it up and inside was a picture of me and him last year when it was snowing outside. We both had snow in our hair. We were sitting on the Institute porch. I smiled at the memory.

"Thank you," I said as he put it around my neck.

"Anything for the most important person in my life." He said and kissed me. His lips were soft against mine. It caught me by surprise. I wanted to pull away but found that I honestly couldn't. I just wanted to stay like this forever.

"SARAH!" I heard Becca shout from downstairs. I jerked and pulled away.

"I should go," I said turning around and going to the stairs and walking down. Becca was standing at the end of the hallway.

"What's your problem?" I asked walking over to her.

"Nothing. We're leaving in 10 minutes and need to be wearing gear not that." She pointed to my outfit.

"Well then," I said walking away. "Oh by the way thanks for the coco."

"Anything for the best sister ever." I rolled my eyes and made the 'far' journey to my room to change.