I Need Your Grace To Remind Me

“Abby, darling,” I sung as Abby was asleep next to me. It was ten o’clock in the morning and we had meetings with the realtor today. It’d been over a month since we decided to move in together and today I was home from tour, because I had 6 shows in London, and hopefully we’d find a house. Every other house we looked at, back in February, Abby seemed to find something wrong with it. So I shoved my laptop in her face with a new email open to the realtor and had her write exactly what she wanted.

“Abby, come on,” I whined as I poked her shoulder. She’d been living with me since since after her opening, because it’d be easier that way so she’s already out of her lease at her flat complex.

“You’re so annoying when you wake me up,” Abby groaned as she sat up. “Hi,” she said once she completely woke up. I leaned over from where I was sat on the bed and pressed a kiss to her lips and then another to her forehead.

“I’ve got breakfast waiting for you downstairs,” I told her as I helped her climb out of bed. We walked downstairs, hand in hand, and quickly dug into the pancakes and bacon I made us.

“Do you think we’ll like the houses today?” Abby asked as she drank her tea.

“I hope so,” I told her, and when I looked at her face I couldn’t read what she was thinking.

“What are you thinking?” I asked her.

“I’m sorry I’ve been so stressful with the process of finding our house. I just—I want it to be perfect. I want it to be the home that we live in forever, the home that we raise Darcy and James in until they go off to college. I want it to feel like ours,” Abby opened up to me as she looked at the wall in front of her. I grabbed her hand and brought her attention to me.

“We’ve got plenty of time to find a house. Would I like it to be soon? Yeah. But I’m on tour until the end of October, so there’s no rush. We’ve got time to find a house, we could move in between different legs of the tour and then we’re one step closer to getting married,” I beamed at her and watched a small smile appear on her face.

“Well, if we’re going to find a house soon, I’ve got to go get dressed,” Abby told me as she took our plates to the sink and cleaned them really fast. We both ran upstairs and quickly threw on an outfit and our shoes before meeting the realtor at the first house. It took us about 30 minutes, with traffic, to get to the house and when we pulled up and looked at the house, it was beautiful.

“Oh my,” Abby said quietly from her spot in the passenger seat. I smiled, because that was a good sign, we’ve looked at 6 houses since February and this was the first time she reacted like that.

“Come on, let’s go have a look,” I said as I climbed out of my Range Rover and met Abby by her door where we walked hand in hand to meet our realtor on the front steps.

“Hello Harry and Abby! So good to you lot again,” Francis, our realtor, said. I had used her when I was finding the house I live in now, and she’s amazing at her job.

“Hello Francis,” I greeted her, as did Abby.

“Are you ready to take a look inside?” Francis asked us as she unlocked the door. We nodded our heads and walked into the foyer. “This home as 6 bedrooms, 4 baths, a pool/Jacuzzi and a pool house,” Francis started rambling off the details as we walked around the first floor. The house was beautiful but Abby hadn’t mumbled a word since we walked in and it concerned me a little bit. We walked into the kitchen that had all stainless steel appliances and granite countertops, I watched as Abby walked around the entire kitchen letting her fingertips glide across the counters and all the appliances. I watched as she dragged her hand across the wooden cabinets over-hanging the counters and I watched as she looked at the ceiling.