Chapter 34

Dad didn't care whether there were people in the house. He unbottoned his grey coat, and glared at us.

"I just walked out of a very important meeting because of your childish behaviour" he said, with his hands on his hips.

"When will either of you grow up?"

"Dad...." I tried to talk.

"I didn't say you could talk" he raised his voice. Loud and angry.

"I thought you would change Isabelle. When will you realize you are not the only one of importance?" He said, not really expecting an answer. Steven and I kept our eyes on the floor.

"And Steven, how could you? I left you in charge so that you could prevent exactly this kind of behaviour from your sister." He ran a hand on his roughly shaven beard. "Her, I expected this irrational, rash behaviour. But Steven, you are a grown man now. You should have known better" Steven muttered an apology, his eyes still on the floor.

"After all of that, you had the nerve to make a disturbance in the police station" dad said.

We did make a scene there. But I did not expect the cops to tell my dad about it.

"I thought you were done with this absurd and erratic behaviour Isabelle. Are you on drugs again? Is that it?" He asked stepping infront of me.

"No." I said in a small voice.

"No? Are you sure? Because you are not acting like the Isabelle who doesn't do drugs. Why don't we go and get you tested, huh? Come on lets go. Right now." He said holding my hand

"That's enough!" Steven suddenly snapped. His voice echoed through the living room. Our friends were sitting on the couch uncomfortably.

"Stop that, dad. She said she isn't on drug."

"And that makes it true?" Dad scoffed.

"She said so. And you will not drag her to some rehabilitation centre to get her tested on. If you do test her, it will probably come positive. But do you know why? Because of the meds she is taking. And you talk about how she's acting. What do you know about how she acts? You were never there. You never gave a shit about what she did. But still you are always her hero. You could never do any wrong in her eyes. Every time she tried to talk to you, you think its about gifts, money. Right now you look at her like theres something wrong with her dad. But she's perfect. She is the most perfect being you will ever meet. And she's dying inside, you don't even even realize it dad. So don't go blaming her for being not-depressed for the first time in a year. And if that is what would cheer her up, I will be there to let her make trouble. Because even that is better than neglecting your own children"

"Don't blame me for trying to give you both a good life. I work hard to make your lives happy. Don't pretend like I don't give you everything you could possibly ask for." Dad said getting even angrier.

"We didn't ask for this." Steven was now getting angrier and angrier. "We didn't ask you to shower us with wealth and money. We didn't ask to grow up learning how to lie and pretend. We wanted to be normal. I for a fact didn't ask to grow up before my time. I love Izzie, but I never wanted to be her guardian. All we ever wanted was for you to be our dad. We never got that dad. Believe me I don't care anymore. But Izzie does. And the least you could do is act like she matters"

"You both matter to me. You know I love you both more than anything else in the world" dad was baffled by Steven's words. His voice grew softer.

"No dad. You love work more than us. Do you even know that Izzie has been blaming herself for mom's death since day one? Did you know that demonic hallucinations of our dead mother haunted her for over a month?" Dad's eyes grew wide.