XLVI- Aftermath

I'm always curious to know your thoughts so comment and vote. Your support always motivates me and I thank you all for taking an interest in my story!

----------------------------------------------

    Shawn pulls into the driveway and parks. "Did that really just happen?" I ask.

    He sighs, "Yeah, it did."

    "I don't think I can ever go back to school." I say, the whole school knows now.

Shawn reaches over the console and grabs my hand, "You're not the bad guy here, Dean is."

    I almost laugh, "No, I'm just the victim." I didn't ask for this, it wasn't supposed to happen like this. Still I know none of this was his fault, "Thank you, for tonight."

    "You didn't think I was just going to let your father kill him did you?" He smiles softly.

    "No, I guess not." Although a part of me is a little bit surprised. Shawn has had to hold back a lot when it comes to Dean.

There's a question that's been lingering on my mind for a while now but I've been too afraid to ask. "So what happens now?"

He doesn't answer right away, when he does his voice is soft and quiet, "Now you heal from all of this."

"I don't even know where to begin with that." I admit.

"I don't either, but take all the time you need." I look out the window, my parents will be pulling in any minute now.

I move to press my lips against Shawn's, he leans into it and kisses me back. When we pull away I want more but stop myself. "I should go inside." I tell him, but I don't want to be alone.

He looks down at his watch, "It's almost midnight."

"Happy New Year." Maybe next year will play out a little better.

Knowing I have to go inside, I pick up my dress and get out of his car. Shawn rolls down the window so he can say something. "I'll check on you as soon as I can." He promises me. I want to stay and let him hold me because even though it's all out, it's far from over.

"Okay." I say softly. Headlights shine on me as my parents begin to pull in.

My mother rushes to get out, wrapping her arms around me in a tight hug. I don't think she ever wants to leave me alone again. My father walks over to Shawn's window, "Thanks again for taking her home."

"You don't have to thank me." Shawn dismisses. Then he looks up at me with my moms arms still around me. "I should've stopped it a long time ago."

My dad doesn't realize who Shawn was talking to and responds with, "You couldn't have known it would've gotten that far. No one knew about it." He's wrong. Shawn knew the whole time, about every single bruise.

He never did anything because at first I asked him not to. Then after that he wanted it to be my decision. No matter how much he pleaded for me to leave him he always made it my choice.  I can see Shawn debating in his head if that was a good call to make. If he should've just told the principle and saved me the pain. When all of this is over I hope I can make him understand that none of this is his fault. I was stubborn, I thought I could save Dean, make him the person he used to be. I thought I could salvage something that hasn't been there for a very long time.

"Call me if you need anything." Shawn replies to my dad, he starts his car back up and begins to drive away. I want to go with him so badly but I know I can't. I have to stay and talk to my parents. I have to deal with the repercussions of Hunter's public display.