Fight For The Field

Early Monday morning all of the high school football players across Dallas woke up bright an early for their first day of summer conditioning practice. They showered, put on their work out clothes, grabbed their bags, and got into their cars and rode to the familiar fields before the sun was even awoken above the horizon.

The Dallas Jaguars were filing out of their cars and onto the field. Some of the players were being dropped off by their parents, some their siblings, some their friends, and some drove there themselves.

One of the players was the starting quarterback hoping and striving to keep her position on the team. Clover was about to get out of her dad's car since he offered to drive her and drops her off at practice. Clover sat in the passenger seat with her hair in a bun and her workout clothes on along with her bag in her lap.

"Work hard, alright? I want you to be breathing hard and giving it your all." Her dad, Brian, spoke. "I want you to make your team and your family proud this season. Get your grind back."

"Never lost it." Clover spoke with her head down. "I'll see you later dad. I'm gonna go out with the boys after practice."

She opened her door and climbed out the car. As she walked along with the crowd of boys to the field she heard her dad call out after her that he loved her and he hope she had a good day. She just held up a peace sign as she walked onto the field. She dropped her bag down along with the other players.

Clover walked up to her former back up quarterback Lane. A Native American boy with jet black hair and brown eyes. He had grown some stubble across his jaw and had even grown a little taller last time he'd seen her, but only by an inch or two.

"Ain't it the queen herself?" Lane chuckled. He greeted Clover with one of their handshakes they created before she smirked.

"Bow down." She joked. Clover looked around spotting familiar faces along with some new people who were trying to get their spot on the team. "See some of the newbies are trying to replace the old seniors."

Lane shook his head as he stretched his arms along with her. "You're telling me. Some of these kids are already gloating about being starters. Maybe someone will take your spot."

Clover rolled her eyes. "Only one who has a chance is you. That's why we're friends. Keep your friends close, your enemies closer."

Lane smirked as he stretched his back. They walked together to the ground as they heard the coaches calling for them to all take a new in front of them right on the 50 yard line.

"I might give you a run for your money this year." Lane smiled. "You think about your new fullback who's gonna replace Ricky? You two had a connection. Worked amazing together."

"Haven't thought about it." Clover admitted, taking a knee along side Diego and Jose who were on the outskirts of the group. Lane took a knee next to her as they all fell quiet and stared at Mateo.

Mateo looked over all the players along with the coaches who were standing on either side of him. There were well over 80 players kneeling in front of them. All different races, sizes, ethnicities, and all their skills varying. He saw that of course there was still only one girl kneeling. He sometimes hoped he'd seen more than one, but it was just how the cookie crumbled and no other girl wanted to try out.

"Hello. I see a lot of familiar faces and a lot of new faces that I'm glad to see. For you all who don't know me, I'm Mateo Sanchez. I'm the head coach of the varsity team and the head of the sports department."