Basketball Game Promises

The following morning, the sky was full of clouds and the air was chill and quiet. Sitting on his bed as he chewed on a toothpick and watched a movie, Ricky put his arm down as he felt Alyssa laying her head on his chest.

They were hanging out together for the morning since neither one of them had anything to do and both of their homes were empty. She was scrolling through her phone as he was switching his focus from the movie screen to her phone where he saw she was liking love quotes on Twitter.

"Why you wanna be in love so badly?" Ricky chuckled. "Love is overrated."

Alyssa frowned as she tilted her head up to look at him. "Why?"

Ricky shrugged. "Cause I've been in love. It's painful and pointless and overrated."

Alyssa sat up and leaned her head on his shoulder as she placed her hands on his lower stomach since he was slouching. "You remember how Clover made you feel? How your relationship was?"

Ricky looked over at her with a toothpick sticking out the corner of his lips while she rubbed her hands up and down his chest before going lower.

"Why you always wanna know about her?" He wondered. "And yeah I do."

Alyssa stopped for a moment before pulling her phone out, unlocked it, and pulled up Clover's Instagram. She handed the phone over to Ricky before she disappeared out his vision around the phone and into his lap. Ricky tried to ignore her as he scrolled through her Instagram as he saw all the photos of Clover and Dante. He saw the bright smile on her face. The way she looked at Dante, with love and compassion behind her eyes. The way Clover use to look at him. Nearly every three pictures, there was a picture of them two.

Ricky switched from Clover's Instagram and over to Dante's. All of the photos were of either him and his brother, him and one of his parents, him and Julio or Leroy, or him and his nephew or niece, but mostly of him and Clover or of just Clover.

The most recent photo Dante had posted was of Clover in her jersey sitting on her fire escape with a pair of Dante's basketball shorts. Her hair was blowing in the wind and the sunset was behind her as she was looking down at the people below them.

When he read the caption it said a simple, my motive to come back to see her shine again.

Ricky locked Alyssa's phone as he knew that there was no going back with how happy he saw she was. Ricky set the phone to the side and looked up at the ceiling as he put his hand on the back of Alyssa's head.

~**~

Meanwhile a few hours later, Jose was texting on his phone in the football team group chat as he listened to Colby talk with his mom from down the hallway. When Colby finished, he walked into his room and smirked seeing his boyfriend sitting on the bed.

"So, what's this party about?" Colby wondered, feeling his phone vibrating in his sweatpants pocket from the messages being sent back and forth through all the players.

Jose looked up at Colby for a moment and chuckled before sending one more text and locking his phone. "The defensive end Nathan is throwing a party at his house this weekend. Wanna go with me?"

Colby laughed softly as he walked around his room and over to his desk. He picked up his house keys and walked back towards the door as he just shrugged his shoulders. "Sure. I mean, I don't really mind. I wasn't planning on going but I'll go if you wanna go together."