CH 21

The boys had gotten comfortable on the couch and are watching an episode of Spongebob, one of Mitch's favorites. But, to clarify, it's mostly Scott watching the episode and Mitch watching Scott, but not in a creepy way. He's scared it might seem creepy, but he's craving his closeness. Ehem. Wait. What did he just think?

It's like his old, cold self is suddenly replaced by a more hopeful person, a warmer person. For the first time since he made friends with Luke he actually feels a connection to someone. Scott is not just some party dude who supplies him with alcohol, Scott is a person, a nice, caring boy, his roommate, his friend... It feels nice to say it. He's his friend. Mitch actually got another best friend. He feels like if he wanted to, he could talk to Scott, and he wouldn't judge. If he wanted to, that is.

Is this what it feels like to have a best friend?

Mitch is so confused. He sighs, focusing back on the movie. Thank goodness he knows every episode by heart or he'd have no idea what's going on.

"Are you okay?" Scott suddenly whispers, putting an arm around the boy carefully. Mitch tenses. "Sorry, is this okay?"

He's slowly able to relax under Scott's touch and even leans in a little closer. "Yeah. Just... thinking."

"Wanna share?"

Mitch shakes his head slightly. "No, but thank you. It's okay."

"Okay." And once again, he doesn't push further. Mitch notices how he didn't move his hand away, and for a second his mind tells him to get away from Scott's touch, but that is before he notices that he's actually enjoying it. So he sits there and lets it happen, leans against Scott's side and forgets his mask for a moment. For the first time he tries not to put up a wall and lets his thoughts and feelings happen, acknowledging them, and it's one of the most beautiful moments in his life. He's breathing in a faint scent of Gucci Guilty and just Scott that makes him feel high on life and happiness. Scott smells like home, Scott is his home now, he is comfort and everything Mitch has. But there is more. Scott isn't just his comfort, his best friend... He's more than that. He's someone that Mitch craves, that he wants to be with all the time. Being with Scott makes him happy. It doesn't drain him like his other friends usually do. And slowly, he's starting to realize that maybe his real friend isn't Chad, or Chris, or Lance, but maybe it's Scott. Maybe he's the one that deserves all of his time, because he's a good guy. He doesn't get in trouble, doesn't get suspended, doesn't smoke, do drugs, fuck... He's what Mitch will never be. Yet still, he finds himself gravitating towards the cute, tall blonde. He doesn't know why, it's probably just physical attraction. Scott is hot, after all.

After the episode ends, Mitch still doesn't make a move to get away from Scott's arm around him and Scott also stays in his position. There's a thick tension between them, Scott can feel it, and it feels special. Mitch is snuggled up to him, his head resting on his collarbone area, giving him the opportunity to turn his head slightly and kiss Mitch's temple. Mitch looks up after his friendly gesture.

"What was that for?" He whispers. Scott just smiles.

"For our new friendship."

Mitch usually makes the first move when it comes to this, but it's like he's a different person. He feels... more himself. He's just getting lost in those beautiful blue eyes again when Scott leans forward and softly presses his lips against Mitch's. It's just a peck, and it only lasts a second or two, but Mitch's heart speeds up and he feels tingly. When Scott leans back again, it leaves Mitch craving for more. He opens his eyes again, slowly, just to find Scott smiling at him.

"Why- why did you do that?" Mitch mumbles quietly. Scott's smile falls.

"Spur of the moment... You look so cute and kissable right now... I just had to."