CH 20

Under haunted skies I see you, oh
Where love is lost your ghost is found
I braved a hundred storms to leave you
As hard as you try, no, I will never be knocked down, whoa
I can't keep up with your turning tables
Under your thumb I can't breathe
I won't let you close enough to hurt me
No, I won't rescue you to just desert me
I can't give you what you think you gave me
It's time to say goodbye to turning tables
Turning tables
Next time I'll be braver
I'll be my own savior
When the thunder calls for me
Next time I'll be braver
I'll be my own savior
Standing on my own two feet

Ever since when does Scott own a fucking piano?! And where did he learn to belt and riff like that?!

Mitch follows the sound of Scott's beautiful soulful voice and the soft piano into a room he didn't even know existed. The door is ajar, Scott doesn't even know Mitch is home. He was out for a few hours, with Luke. But he came back earlier than expected, and now Scott is belting for his life. He pushes the door open, lightly, not to scare Scott. But still, Scott immediately stops playing and looks at him, wide-eyed.

"Wh- what are you doing here?" He clears his throat awkwardly.

But instead of answering, Mitch gasps. "Scott... Where did you learn to sing like a fucking King Rifter?!"

"Um... I... Don't know?" Now he's getting shy.

"You're amazing. Wow. You belong on a stage."

"You think?" He locks his blue eyes with Mitch's brown ones, looking at him full of hope.

"A hundred percent. You are born to be a singer, Scott. Holy shit, that was amazing."

"Thank you. Can we sing a song together? I have this one song that I found but when I sing it alone it sounds stupid, it needs to be a duet."

Mitch smiles at how excited Scott suddenly got, but he blushes. "Um... I don't sing. Especially not after that amazing performance."

"Please?" Scott pouts, looking at him with puppy eyes. Oh, fuck this kid. "I won't judge you. It's just for fun."

Before Mitch can even comprehend what's happening he finds himself nodding, giving in to Scott. Great. Now he has to do it.

"But I'm really bad at singing," he warns. "I'm just gonna ruin it."

"I already know you won't," Scott replies. "Your voice is very beautiful."

"Uh... thanks. I guess."

"Okay, it's called Worth It."

He places the handwritten lyrics on the music rack, starting to play the first keys, and Mitch immediately recognizes the song.

"You start," he whispers right before the first verse starts, leaving him no other choice than to sing.

I gotta walk away
Can't handle the dangerous games that you play
Not trying to change you, babe
So keep on, keep on
I gotta look away
Tried to ride at your tempo, but I can't keep up
Not trying to change you, babe
So keep on, keep on
Ooh, yeah
And it was perfect

Ooh, yeah
And no I don't regret it

He looks at Mitch right before the chorus starts and then joins in, singing a lower harmony. Mitch's voice is perfect for this song, and he sings so beautifully. Scott really has to focus or he would forget all the lyrics.

You pull me under, give me something I never had
Push me over with no time to push back
I never felt so good and so bad
Went to hell and back
But it was worth it, ooh yeah
And it was perfect, ooh yeah
And no I don't regret it

Now it's Scott's turn.

And I'm not the only one
Riding shotgun these days in your car
Not trying to change you, babe
So keep on, keep on
'Cause this ain't my kind of fun
The rumors are true, and you gotta do you
Not trying to change you, babe
So keep on, keep on
You pull me under, give me something I never had
Push me over with no time to push back (push back)
I never felt so good and so bad
Went to hell and back
But it was worth it, ooh yeah
And it was perfect, ooh yeah
And no I don't regret it
Ooh, yeah
It was worth it 
Ooh, ooh, yeah
And it was perfect
Perfect, yeah

You pull me under, give me something I never had
Push me over with no time to push back
I never felt so good and so bad
Went to hell and back
But it was worth it, ooh yeah
And it was perfect, ooh yeah
And no I don't regret it
You pull me under, give me something I never had
Push me over with no time to push back
I never felt so good and so bad
Went to hell and back
But it was worth it, ooh yeah
And it was perfect, ooh yeah
And no I don't regret it

Scott smiles as soon as the song is over, turning around to look at Mitch, who has a shy smile on his face.

"Who said you can't sing?" he asks, genuinely curious because that person must've been either an idiot or deaf. "Your voice is angelic, Mitchy. You belong on stage."

"Thank you." Aw, now he's blushing. Mitch rarely ever blushes, but with Scott, it's different.

Mitch catches himself getting lost in the ocean blue of Scott's eyes, just looking at him with a soft smile on his lips. His voice... is impressive. His riffs, his belts... His low notes give him chills.

"Can you sing another song?"

"Uh..." Scott blushes and looks to the floor. "Maybe later?"

"Okay." Mitch gives him another soft smile before he decides to call it a day with the cheesiness. Ew. What is he, a fluffy pink unicorn?

"Are we going out for dinner?" Scott asks suddenly and completely catches Mitch off-guard.

"What do you mean, out?"

"Um, we could like, go to Ben's Diner?" Scott suggests. "Or we could just get some Taco Bell, or whatever you want."

Mitch bites his lip. He kind of wants to go out with Scott. It'll almost feel like... a date? No, Mitch. That's not the way to think. You aren't supposed to make a move on him. If... it doesn't mean anything. And it doesn't. Surely not.

"Can we get Taco Bell?" He ventures. He knows he can't be seen with Scott, or his friends would go crazy, but still... at the same time he wants to show off his amazing new friend. Luke already knows, at least. But he made him swear on his life not to tell anyone about it. Mitch would be screwed.

"Of course." Scott's face lights up even more. "I'll get the keys, you put on some shoes."

Mitch bites his lip once again, a thing he does quite often when he's anxious, but finds himself smiling anyways. He likes being around Scott, in whatever context it might be.