Iruka Umino

Title: Courage, For Him

"You sure you're ready, (Y/n)? I mean, I know you're above me in rank and all, but they can be a handful." Iruka asked as we walked down the hallway of the academy, the wooden floors creaking under the weight of out feet. I scoffed lightly and rolled my eyes, shoving my hands a bit deeper into the pockets of my pants.

"I've already been a squad leader Iruka, I think I've got this." I scoffed lightly as I closed my eyes and tilted my head down, listening to the nervous shuffle of Iruka's paperwork he was carrying. As he was shuffling, he suddenly stopped, I assumed we were at his class.

"Alright then, let's go inside." Iruka sighed heavily as he reached for the edge of the wood door. There was no noise coming from the room, so I hoped for the best.

"Okay, and besides, I'm only watching, it's not like I'm actually teaching yet." I said and watched as Iruka pulled the door open. We both stepped inside, and all of the attention was immediately pointed at us. I quickly scanned the class and memorized every face before we even got to Iruka's desk. Everything was going well so far; all of the children were pretty well behaved and quiet. Now remember, I said everything was good, past tense, it was all good, until Iruka started calling role.

"Aburame, Akimichi, Daku, Haruno, Hyuga, Inuzuka, Nara, Uchiha, Uzumaki... where is Naruto?!?" Iruka began, and after every name called, there was a 'here' called from every student, until finally, one didn't answer. Iruka was pissed. I watched him nonchalantly as he ranted.

"Not here, obviously." I answered bluntly, still observing Iruka with a bored expression. Some of the children in the class began to giggle, causing Iruka to turn red. Iruka turned to me for a split second and glared, before running to the door and sliding in open.

"Izumo, Kotetsu! Go find Naruto! I have a feeling that he's doing something stupid!" Iruka screamed into the hallway. The gate guard duo could be seen dashing down the hall quickly, the sound of footsteps thundering all the way out of the academy, until they were gone. I sighed heavily and walked around Iruka's desk, plopping myself down into the large chair, then throwing my feet up onto his desk. Iruka grumbled and straightened his chunin vest, then walked back to the center of the classroom.

"Alright class, today were going to be brushing up on shinobi history, such as the First Great Shinobi war." Iruka called, causing a few low groans and grumbles to erupt from random students. A small smirk spread to my lips as I watched Iruka's face turn into a scowl. Iruka began teaching regularly, though that only lasted for about ten minutes. The door suddenly banged open, and in came a sweaty Izumo and Kotetsu, dragging a tied-up Naruto.

They panted heavily as they tossed him into the room and onto the floor like a sack of potatoes. I narrowed my eyes at the duo at how they were treating a literal child, jinchuriki or not. Iruka then immediately started to yell at Naruto, leaving him on the floor, unable to move, and his hands were turning blue. As Iruka continued to scold Naruto, I continued to get angrier and angrier, and finally, exploding.

"Iruka Umino, if you don't let him go right now, I'll kick all three of your asses straight to the Hokage's office. I've done it before, and I'm sure as hell not afraid to do it again." I growled deeply, causing my chest to rumble. Iruka, Kotetsu, and Izumo visibly stiffened before the three of them darted to Naruto and undid his binds.

As soon as Naruto was free, the two gate idiots raced out of the door, and out of the academy completely, though Iruka just started yelling at the boy again. I growled once more and marched over to Iruka, not thinking twice about decking him right in the face, sending him flying across the classroom. The entire class gasped in sync as they watched me in wonder. Naruto's eyes went wide, and he jumped up and ran over, only to cling to my right leg tightly. I then pet Naruto's head in a comforting manner as I glanced down at him, then back up to Iruka, who was still on the ground.