Chapter 3

"Thank goodness you're okay." Liz said hugging Meryl when she walked into the room. "I can't spoil Lillian without you."

Larry wrapped his arm around Liz as she started crying. "Honey, we talked about this."

"I know." Liz said wiping her tears. "I'm sorry."

Don was holding tightly onto Meryl's hand; he didn't quite know what to say in a situation like this. A situation he NEVER wanted his wife to be in. "You have the paper?"

"Okay, all of you." Meryl said as Don helped her sit up. "I'll be DAMNED if I'm going anywhere; Don won't let it happen either."

Don gave her a watery smile. "No fucking way in hell. In 5 months we will be leaving this hospital with our new baby."

"We are all going to make sure of it." Liz said trying to pull herself together. "The kids have no idea what we're doing; and I brought my notary."

Larry got into his briefcase. "Here it is. It just says that in the occurrence that you become incapacitated and can't be saved then the baby is to be saved. If it comes between your life or the baby's life; then the baby is to be saved. This also states you're under sound mind. Now, we need a witness. Which I can be."

"I'll be the witness." Don said barely above a whisper.

Meryl looked at Don. "Don Man, you don't have to do that. I know how hard this is on you. I'm just so grateful you are supporting me."

"I will always support you, Darl; no matter what." Don said bending down to kiss her lips. "We said until death do us part, in sickness and in health, for better or worse; right?"

Meryl smiled at him. "Yeah, we did."

"Well, this falls in with that." Don said. "That is, if you don't mind if I sign."

Meryl struggled to find her voice. "Every important document I've signed for the past 34 years your signature has been next to mine; I don't want that to change."

"Me either." Don winked. "Okay, I think we're ready. Darl?"

Meryl nodded as Liz pulled the tray over and did what she needed to do. "I'm ready."

"Meryl, print your name here." Larry said as she did. "Then print here, sign and date here. Oh, and I drew it up as Mary L. Gummer."

Meryl smiled sadly at Don. "That's who I am."

"And always will be." Don said stroking her hair. 

Larry nodded. "Don, I need you to sign and date here."

"Yeah, okay." Don nodded as he read it over and over.

Meryl rubbed his back. "Baby, you don't have to sign; Larry can sign."

"I want to do it." Don said looking at her. "Well, not want."

Meryl winked at him. "I know what you mean."

"Here." Don said signing and giving it to Larry. "Is that it?"

Larry nodded. "I'll make sure you all get copies; and there's a copy here."

"Thanks, buddy." Don said not taking his eyes off his wife.

Meryl did the same with her husband. "Thank you both."

"We'll check on you later." Liz said pulling her husband towards the door.

Larry nodded. "Yeah, we'll be back."

"Hold me?" Meryl asked as soon as they were alone.

Don sat on the bed facing her; and held her as tightly as possible. "Why do I feel like I just signed your life away?"