Chapter 23

Later that night, Meryl sighed as she watched her husband sleep; finally. She hated that he couldn't get comfortable. Bruises started showing up on his back so it hurt for him to lay on his back. It was also hard for him to lay on his sides and stomach because of his bruised ribs. Not to mention how it hurt his face. Meryl was sitting up in bed, running her fingers through his hair as he was laying partially on his side curled up to her. She hated how long it took him to get comfortable. He finally let her put ice on his back and that's how he fell asleep. Once he was out, thought it didn't look like a restful sleep, she removed the ice pack and pulled the blanket up on him. The more she thought about what her brother did to the man who loved her like no one else ever had, or ever would; the more her heart broke. Her brother KNEW how he had been abused in his life from his family, and how Don felt like the Streeps were the family he never had; and now one of his brothers had accused him of something she knew was like a knife to his heart as well as beating him. Yes, Meryl had her shot at her brother the day before; but there was so much more she needed to say and she needed to say it NOW.

***

Don woke up with a start when he could have sworn he heard the kitchen door slam; being as though the guest bedroom they were staying in wasn't far from the kitchen he knew that's what it was. "Meryl?" He asked waking up; he frowned when he saw that she was no longer in bed beside him. He looked at her nightstand and saw that her glasses and phone weren't there. He had a bad feeling. A really bad feeling. He immediately jumped out of bed, quicker than he should have due to his bruised ribs but he didn't give a shit. He was terrified that Dana came after his wife.

***

"Damn it!" Meryl broke down crying as she hit the wheel when she couldn't fit behind it. She still had her legs hanging out of the open car door since she couldn't fit behind the wheel. She tried to reach down to move the seat back but she couldn't. "FUCK!"

Don was running to their car, holding his ribs as he ran; and immediately breathed a sigh of relief when he saw his wife in the driver's seat. However, his relief quickly turned to fear when he could hear and see her sobbing. He immediately went over to her, kneeling down in front of her. "Baby? What happened? Where are you going? It's late, sweetheart; and you scared the living shit out of me."

"I can't get behind the wheel." Meryl sobbed.

Don sighed as he kissed her forehead. "Baby, where were you going ALONE this time of night? You need to be sleeping, love."

"I need to go tell my fucking brother off." She sobbed. "You can't even fucking rest because of him."

Don sighed as he wiped away her tears and helped her stand up. "Darl, let's go get you inside and get you some tea."

"Will you drive me?" Meryl asked with broken eyes. "I have to confront him."

Don sighed as he pressed his forehead to hers. "You already have, baby; and I want you NOWHERE near him. You need to rest; and you do not need any more stress. He has caused you enough. Come on, let's get your feet up."

"I'm sorry, Don." Meryl whispered as she laid her head on his arm while he led her to the house. "So, so, sorry."

Don pressed his lips to her head. "You have done NOTHING to be sorry for; my girl. Thank you for wanting to protect me; but I need you and baby Gummer safe and with me. It will all be okay." Don of course knew how upset she was about everything that happened; but it wasn't until he found her in the car coming apart over what her brother did to him, did he realize just how much it was weighing on her. She had her chance at her brother; and now Don wanted his.

***

"Okay baby, here you go." Don said handing her a mug of hot milk as she laid on the couch; and he covered her up with a kiss to her forehead. "I thought maybe milk would be better than tea."