Chapter 30

"Don?" Meryl looked at her husband.

Don hated that her brother was putting her in that situation. He cupped her cheek and kissed it. "I meant what I said the other night, Darl."

"Oh sure." Dana threw up his hands. "Whatever Donny boy wants, Donny boy gets. You've been controlling and brain washing my sister for too long. I'm so sick of your perfect fucking life. If you didn't learn from what I did to you last week then maybe you will in the future. You and my sister deserve what's coming to you."

Meryl was trying to hold it together. "I am NOT dropping the charges; and this has NOTHING to do with Don. HE told me he didn't want me to be in this position and told me to drop the charges; but I'm not going to. I'm so fucking tired of you doing whatever the hell you want and damn the consequences. I guess this does have to do with Don, because I can't BEAR the thought of you hurting him again just because he's an amazing father and husband. That's the problem isn't it, Dana? He's everything you're not."

"What a bitch." Dana hissed as he got closer to his sister.

Don immediately stood in-between his wife and her brother. "Don't even THINK about it, Dana. You do NOT touch my wife."

"I don't know what happened to you; but I'm done until you decide you want help." Meryl said wiping her tears. "Perfect? Our lives aren't perfect; but they are BETTER because we have each other. The thought that you hurt my husband because you think our life is perfect makes me sick. It's time to face the consequences of your actions; I can only hope it brings Mary's husband, my nieces' and nephews' father and my brother back."

Larry had walked up at this point and looked at the guards. "Take him into the courtroom."

"Darl?" Don asked turning to his wife, holding her head in his hands. "Are you okay?"

Meryl shook her head. "What happened to my brother, Don?"

"I don't know, baby." Don sighed as he held her close. "I'm sure that was incredibly hard for you."

Meryl cried against his neck. "I'm so sorry, Don Man."

"Hey." Don said pulling away slightly. "Why on EARTH are you apologizing?"

Meryl shook her head as he wiped away her tears. "Because of my brother you were hurt so badly."

"Which is NOT your fault, love." Don said as he tenderly kissed her lips."I'm so proud of you."

Meryl smiled weakly at him. "I'm just ready for this to be over."

"Me too, Darl." Don said with a kiss to her forehead as Third and Maeve walked up.

Third looked at Don. "What happened?"

"Dana." Don sighed. "Hey Maeve, can you go sit in the courtroom with Meryl while I get her some water?"

Meryl reached out for Don's hand. "Baby, I'm fine."

"I'm going to make sure." Don said kissing her cheek. "Maeve?"

Maeve nodded. "Of course; I'll keep her company."

"I'll go with Don." Third said, sensing that Don wanted to talk to him.

Larry patted Don's arm. "I'll be in there with them."

"Thanks." Don said as he looked at Third. "Your brother has really done it now. I don't know if Meryl will ever forgive him; which I hate."

Third walked with Don over to the beverage machine. "What happened?"

"He walked up to her and begged her to drop the charges. Said how sorry he was. He tried to get close to her and I told him to back up." Don sighed as he put money in the machine and got his wife a bottle of water. "I had no idea what he was going to do."