Chapter 44

The next week went well for Don and Meryl. They fell into a routine with her bedrest; and while he was busy doing things he had arranged for people to come by and stay with Meryl. He kept asking her if she wanted some time to herself, wanting to make sure she had everything she wanted and needed; and she said with a husband and 4 children that she was never by herself which was just what she wanted. Meryl was so thankful for everyone that helped Don with the meals and housework; she was especially proud of Don for letting people help him when she knew he preferred to be the one to take care of everything. While it was hard for Don to let other people help them, since he felt he was fully capable of doing it all by himself, he knew it made his wife feel better knowing people were helping and it wasn't all falling on him; so he accepted help, wanting to do anything and everything in his power to keep his wife calm and stress free. The home health nurse had come to get Meryl's labs showing there were no changes in her levels. While Don and Meryl were disappointed that her levels hadn't gotten better; Don was thrilled that they were stable and had not gotten any worse. That was Don's goal; to keep his wife as stable as possible for as long as possible and he knew he would do anything in his power to make sure that happened.

***

Mary stirred as the phone rang; she didn't know who would be calling at this late hour. She didn't even bother to look at the caller ID. "Yeah? Hello?"

"If it isn't my loving; bitchy wife." Dana Streep said on the other end of the phone.

Mary sighed as she sat up in bed and rubbed her face. "Dana, what do you want?"

"I want you to bail me out of this hell hole." Dana sighed. "My bitchy sister and her arrogant husband are pressing more charges."

Mary shook her head. "Well, you did break the protective order and send her to the fucking hospital for several days while also being a complete ass to Don. You trespassed and tried to ruin your nephew's wedding."

"That's what they get." Dana said. "Maybe when they lose their baby they'll know how we feel! How it feels when your wife miscarries!"

Mary swallowed past the tears. "They know how that is; Dana. Is this why you are doing this? Because they are having and baby and we aren't anymore?"

"I'm tired of her having the things I can't." Dana boomed. "So, are you going to come through for me this time?"

Mary choked back the tears. "I love you, Dana, very much; but you need to be where you are. Stay away from Don and Meryl."

"You made your choice." Dana said. "I'll make mine!"

Mary sighed as she heard a click. Her heart broke for her husband; but he wouldn't let her in. She now knew why he was doing what he was doing; and she now knew that she needed to tell her sister-in-law. She just prayed Don and Meryl wouldn't lose their baby like Dana and Mary lost theirs.

***

"Well, what do you feel like doing today?" Don asked helping Meryl get back in bed after getting ready for the day.

Meryl shrugged as she laughed. "Lay in bed?"

"Besides that; you goof." Don laughed. "Play cards? Board games? Are there any books you want me to order? Any shows or movies we can't access on AppleTV you want me to get?"

Meryl tenderly kissed his lips as she thought about how hard he was trying to make the bedrest as painless as possible for his wife; and then Meryl smirked as she thought of something. "I want to do something with my hands."

"Oh?" Don smirked. "That has to wait awhile, Darl."

Meryl shook her head. "Not that; I mean, well of course that but I know that has to wait until after the baby is born."