Chapter 21

After talking to Larry, Don and Meryl went to eat breakfast together in the kitchen; as neither of them felt up to going out. Also, Meryl wanted to protect her husband from prying eyes with camera phones as much as she could. Meryl then helped Don shower as he complained that he should be the one to help her. He was feeling pretty crappy due to the infection; and lifting his arms proved to be difficult for him. After showering, Don and Meryl called the kids to let them know they were alright. They both knew they needed to call Maeve and Third so they knew what was going on; but they decided to wait on that phone call they really didn't want to make. Meryl then suggested they call his parents. She felt that they had all turned a new page in their chapter as a family; and she didn't want to keep anything from them, especially this with the trashy story going around. Don agreed they needed to tell them; but he said he just didn't have the energy at the moment. She could tell how badly he was feeling and how much he was hurting. Whenever she would ask him about it he said he was fine, so she decided not to push it. She was thrilled when he suggested they get back in bed and take a nap together. She hoped that meant he would let his body get the rest it needed; the rest she needed him to have so nothing more happened to him.

***

Meryl woke up to a phone call from the kids, who were all together, calling to check on them. She was disappointed when she realized Don was no longer laying in bed next to her as soon as she woke up to the phone call. She told the kids how he was doing; and that they would be okay. Meryl also brought the kids up to speed on what was happing legally; so that they all knew what was going on. After she got off the phone with them she went in search of her husband. She knew that he couldn't climb the stairs, well he shouldn't climb the stairs, with the condition he was in; so she looked all downstairs for him. When she couldn't find him, she went out by the pool; and no luck. She wasn't surprised that the car and boat were all still there; she knew that with as worried as he was about her that he wouldn't leave the property without telling her. Besides, that wasn't him; and that wasn't their marriage. She didn't know why she didn't think to look in his studio sooner. She shook her head as she walked out to where she knew he was.

***

Don was working on a molding for his sculpture, not knowing his wife was walking in the door at the moment, and gasped then doubled over in pain when he stretched too tall which resulted in a shooting pain in his ribs and lungs. "Damn it!"

"Don!" Meryl waddled over to him as quickly as she could; immediately wrapping her arms around him. "Come sit down, please."

Don hissed through the pain as she helped him to the sofa in the studio. "Fine...Darl. You should be...resting."

"I came in here to tell you the same thing." Meryl said kissing his cheek once she got him settled and then started to get up. "Stay." Which caused Don to laugh and then groan in pain. "Baby?"

"Darl, I'm okay." Don sighed as he tried to give her a reassuring smile; and he then saw her go over to the mini fridge to get a bottle of water. "I couldn't get comfortable; and didn't want to wake you up so I decided to come out there. It's just the bruised ribs; and face."

Meryl shook her head at him with tears in her eyes as she handed him the bottle of water. "I'm so sorry, baby."

"Hey." Don said putting down the bottle of water she gave him; and then cupped her face.  "NONE of this is your fault. It's normal for me to feel this way with the infection and bruised ribs."

Meryl shook her head as she ran her fingers through his hair. "You wouldn't have all that if it wasn't for my fucking brother."

"He was trying to protect you." Don sighed. "Believe me; I understand that."