Chapter 47

Don couldn't sleep. They hadn't said for sure but he just had a feeling that Meryl would be having surgery the next day; and that terrified him. Her body was under so much strain; he couldn't help but wonder how much more her body could take. She had woken up a few times from the pain of contractions and so he knew they would be doing the surgery. Don laid in bed with her until she was finally comfortable and asleep; as he knew that made her feel better. Once she was asleep he couldn't shut off his brain. He finally got up to get his earbuds Larry brought him when he brought him clothes and such; and he started to listen to Pandora when a song came on that immediately brought tears to his eyes especially as he watched the love of his life sleep. As he listened to that song he thought of everything they had gone through in their  34 years together, and everything he hoped they would be able to through in the next 34; and an idea popped into his mind. He carefully got up and grabbed his computer while texting Henry to bring him something very important from their room; as he knew he would probably be up with the baby.

***

Meryl woke up reaching for her husband but he was no longer there; which she found strange considering he said he wanted to stay with her; and the fact he insisted on staying with her. She immediately felt panic that maybe Mann did something to him until she saw he had pulled the hospital tray in front of her and his MacBook was open with a sticky note on it: Hi Darl, I have a special surprise for you. Press play for more. "Donald Gummer, what did you do?" Meryl asked herself as she pressed play. Tears started streaming down her face as she realized he put together a slideshow of pictures of the two of them while the song Marry Me by Train played.

Forever can never be long enough for me
Feel like I've had long enough with you
Forget the world now we won't let them see
But there's one thing left to do
Now that the weight has lifted
Love has surely shifted my way

Marry me
Today and every day
Marry me
If I ever get the nerve to say
Hello in this cafe
Say you will
Mm-hmm
Say you will
Mm-hmm

Together can never be close enough for me
Feel like I am close enough to you
You wear white and I'll wear out the words I love you
And you're beautiful
Now that the wait is over
And love and has finally shown her my way

Marry me
Today and every day
Marry me
If I ever get the nerve to say hello in this cafe
Say you will
Mm-hmm
Say you will
Mm-hmm

Promise me
You'll always be
Happy by my side
I promise to
Sing to you
When all the music dies

And marry me
Today and everyday
Marry me
If I ever get the nerve to say hello in this cafe
Say you will
Mm-hmm
Say you will
Mm-hmm
Marry me

"Marry me?" Don said walking out of the bathroom with her diamond ring he gave her 11 years before in his hand. 

Meryl looked up at him with tears in her eyes. "Don Man?"

"Mary Louise Streep Gummer, I could marry you everyday and it wouldn't be enough. Whenever we are as close as can be; I always want to be closer to you. I want to continue to be the man that makes you laugh, the man that holds you when you cry and the man that brings you pleasure." Both of them had tears streaming down their faces. "I have loved every single moment I have spent with you; and I can't wait for MANY more years filled with moments as we raise another child together. Will you marry me? After our baby is born?"