Chapter 40

"Just what do you think you're doing, Mrs. Gummer?" Don asked after a break in their make-out session when he felt her undoing the buttons of his white dress shirt and placing kisses on his bare chest.

Meryl smiled as she looked up at him. "Trying to make you more comfortable, Mr. Gummer."

"Baby." Don sighed placing her hand in-between his legs. "You're not exactly making me more comfortable."

Meryl giggled at him as he buttoned up a few buttons on his dress shirt; but leaving the top few buttons undone for her pleasure, just like he always did. "I'm not sure if I should apologize for that."

"You shouldn't." Don winked. "I'm not going to."

Meryl tenderly kissed his lips. "Good. Baby, I thought Larry was going to bring you clothes. I feel bad you are still in your wedding clothes."

"Don't; I'm fine." Don said stroking her hair. "I'm sure he got tied up with the Dana stuff. I don't care what I'm wearing as long as I'm with you."

Meryl shook her head at him; that was her husband through and through. "Baby, don't you want to go home and change? Though hopefully I'll be sprung soon."

"Even if you're not; I am NOT leaving." Don said strongly; he had this feeling that she might be in the hospital a little longer. "End of discussion."

Meryl nodded. "I do love it when you roll up your shirt sleeves like that."

"What is with you and my forearms?" Don asked laughing. "What was it you said in that interview once? 'So beautiful?'"

Meryl giggled. "They are."

"Well, every part of you is incredibly beautiful." Don said kissing her neck over and over until they heard a knock at the door. "GO AWAY!"

Meryl shook her head at him as he helped her sis up. "Don." She giggled. "We're in a hospital not a hotel."

"Fine." He winked; glad this little time together seemed to do her a ton of good as it had done him after the phone call with Dana. "Come in."

Mike laughed as he walked in with his wife. "Don't you tell us to go away, boy."

"Hi, darlings." Maggie smiled as she kissed both Don and Meryl.

Meryl smiled back at Maggie. "What are you two doing here?"

"Special delivery." Mike said holding up a bag. "The kids packed stuff for both of you. Larry is sorry he hasn't gotten over here yet; but he and I were consulting."

Meryl raised an eyebrow. "Dana?"

"Yeah."  Mike said sadly as he put the bag on a counter in the corner of the room.

Don didn't want his wife to get upset all over again. "Thank you for coming by. Sit down for a bit."

"Please." Meryl nodded. "What's been going on outside these walls?"

Maggie got out her phone and showed pictures of Lily to Meryl. "Just time with this beauty."

"She looks so much older than yesterday." Meryl said sadly. "Is she talking?"

Mike laughed. "And walking everywhere."

"Well, she is a genius after all." Don teased. "I mean walking and talking at 2 1/2 months? Genius!"

Maggie laughed and then she grabbed Meryl's hand. "Honey, HOW are you?"

"Much better." Meryl nodded. "Hopefully going home today."

Don grabbed Meryl's other hand. "We hope so; but if the doctor decides it's best we stay in here then we will."

"Don Man." Meryl sighed as she turned to him. "Are you sure you don't want to go home and..."