Chapter 7

"It sure is nice to see the outside world." Meryl joked with Don as they were in the examination room of her doctor's Manhattan office. "There is life outside the apartment."

Don was standing next to her head as she laid on the examination table waiting for her doctor. "I remember a time when you liked being locked up with me. Has my magic finally worn off on you?"

"Never." Meryl said grabbing his hand and kissing it. "It is nice to see other walls though, isn't it?"

Don laughed. "It is. Besides, I get to see other walls more than you do."

"Oh yeah; of the grocery story and pharmacy. So exciting." Meryl teased him; because that seemed to be the only time he would leave her alone in the apartment. "You know, you can go to meetings and see your friends."

Don shook his head. "I thought we agreed that we are in this together."

"We did." Meryl agreed. "I just don't want it to feel like a prison sentence to you; I know how stir crazy I'm getting so I can't imagine how you're feeling."

Don winked at her. "I can't think of a better prison sentence."

"Don." Meryl sighed. "It has to be getting to you. Not going to galleries. Not getting out of the apartment."

Don kissed her hand as he looked into her eyes. "It's not like we live in a studio apartment, Mer. Besides, there is nowhere else I want to be. I want to try and make this easier on you."

"You are, Don Man." Meryl said stroking his cheek. "I promise, baby."

Don smiled at her as he was thinking and looking at his watch. "How would you like to go to an early supper tonight? Maybe in Tribecca so we won't have to deal with the pre-theater dinner crowd."

"Really?" Meryl asked shocked. "What's the catch?"

Don laughed at his wife. "Dr. Taylor has to say it's okay; AND that your levels are okay."

"I have a feeling they will be." Meryl said excitedly. "Dinner out with my husband? I'm so excited."

Her excitement was very sweet to Don. "Baby, we eat EVERY meal together. I'm not that exciting."

"Yes you are." Meryl disagreed. "Besides, there's something romantic about going to a nice dinner alone with you."

Don feigned shock. "This is gonna cost me, isn't it? I was just thinking a slice of pizza or something."

"Yes, it will." Meryl teased him back.

Don bent down to tenderly kiss her forehead. "Good thing you're worth it."

"I thought you might say that." Meryl flirted back as the doctor walked in; and Meryl noticed the smile on her doctor's face. "How am I?"

Don was constantly worried about her Eclampsia and protein levels. "Her protein levels? Organ functions?"

"So much better." Dr. Taylor smiled. "I was just hoping your numbers maintained and didn't get worse since your lab work last week and being released from the hospital the week before that; I am so happy they are getting BETTER. That is pretty amazing with a high risk pregnancy like yours. You are doing so much better than I expected 2 weeks ago."

Don was blinking back tears. "You really think so?"

"I know we're not out of the woods yet." Dr. Taylor said cautiously. "BUT, you have navigated a HUGE hurdle, Meryl."

Meryl looked at Don tears in her eyes. "WE have. I wouldn't have gotten this far without him."

"We're going to get all the way to the finish line and beyond." Don said hopefully holding her hand in both of his and kissing it. "The baby?"