Chapter 37

"OOOOOHHHHHHHH!" Meryl screamed holding onto Don. "It hurts Don; it really hurts."

Don was holding her close while kissing her neck and rubbing her stomach; while he turned scared eyes to his son and daughter-in-law. "I know baby; just hang on and the medics will be here soon sweetheart."

"It's too soon, Don." Meryl cried, gripping his hand. "I'm only at 32 weeks. The baby can't come yet."

Don sighed; she was speaking his fears. "It could just be stress, love; but if the baby comes we're ready out here."

"Not in the city." Meryl cried. "We don't even have diapers there."

Susie interjected. "We have tons of newborn diapers people gave us that we never had to use; even some premie ones."

"Suze is right, Mom." Henry tried to calm his mother down. "We can all go to the apartment and get things ready. We have so many extra things we don't need; baby Gummer will be in good shape."

Dana was struggling to get free from Larry and get to his sister. "It doesn't feel good does it, Sis? Your whole world falling apart. First you lose the baby; then Donny  boy will be next. We know why he's really stayed with you all these years."

"Larry." Don hissed as Meryl sobbed harder. "You better get him the fuck out of here...NOW. Because once Meryl is taken care of I'm going to fucking kill him this time."

Larry nodded. "I'll take him out front to wait for the police."

"Mom!" Grace, Louisa and Mamie cried running over to them. "What happened? What's going on?"

Meryl was trying to remain strong; but she couldn't. "Contractions. Baby coming."

"So soon?" Mamie asked in concern.

Don was trying not to lose it. "We don't know; the medics are coming. It could just be stress from your fucking Uncle Dana."

"He's here?" Louisa asked looking around.

Grace was also looking for her uncle. "Should I get Aunt Mary?"

"If you can, just tell Aunt Mary he was here but the police are coming." Don said trying to think through all this. "Larry is with him."

Susie turned to Henry when she heard the helicopter. "I'm going to ask mom to make up an excuse for our disappearance and see if they can take Lil. Also, a reason for the helicopter. Try to keep everyone there in the tent."

"Just say Meryl has heat exhaustion but is fine." Don said trying to think through all this. "I don't want this all over the news."

Meryl nodded as another cramp took her breath away. "All of you are going back to the party; Susie and Henry it's your wedding."

"No way; we're coming with you." Henry said strongly.

Susie nodded. "Absolutely."

"So are we." The three girls said.

Meryl looked at Don as he took over. "The best thing you can do for your mother, and me, is for you Henry and Susie to enjoy your reception. Girls, please stay and help host. I will call as soon as I know something. There is no sense in you all sitting in the waiting room for hours."

"Okay." The kids all exchanged looks as they hugged and kissed their parents, telling them they loved them and went back to the party.

Once the kids were gone Meryl pulled Don's head to hers. "I'm so sorry, Don; I'm so sorry Ive hurt another one of your babies."

"You look at me, Mary Louise." Don said strongly as he moved slightly so they could look at one another. "You NEVER have hurt OUR babies; and you NEVER will. Let's just see what the docs say."