Chapter 10

Meryl looked around as she sneaked into the kitchen. She hated being stuck on the couch while her husband was making their daughter's birthday meal. She had talked him into letting her wrap Grace's presents while on the couch; but that was it. She sighed when she saw he hadn't really started anything. She went over to the refrigerator and took out the lamb shanks that at least had been marinating; only because she told him when it needed to start marinating. "Mary Louise Gummer, put the lamb shanks DOWN!"

"Don." Meryl shook her head; unphased by his tone. "This needs started."

Don sighed as he walked over to her, taking the lamb shanks from her setting them down and then leading her to the bar stool. "I was coming in to get them ready."

"What about the mashed potatoes? The soufflé?" Meryl asked. "Not to mention getting the dining room ready."

Don set down a bottle of water in front of her as she sat down. "The Happy Birthday banner is up. The table is set. Tea is made. I have wine and beer for the kids. I've got this."

"Sweetheart, I love your optimism." Meryl started. "I don't think you realize how difficult the lamb and soufflé are going to be. It is so easy for the soufflé to collapse."

Don was looking at the recipes. "I'm beginning to think that you don't think I can do this."

"Don Man, it's not that. I just don't like all this has been put on you; without much help from me." Meryl sighed. "I usually do this."

Don put on his glasses and smiled at her. "That's right, for over 30 years you have made every Birthday and Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. Not to mention many Anniversary and Valentine's Day dinners. It's my turn. I've got this."

"Okay; thank you." Meryl smiled.

Don looked at her as she held out her hand. "Want to shake on it?"

"Not in that way." Meryl said wiggling her eyebrows making him shake his head and laugh at the sexual innuendo. "Okay Gummer, give me some potatoes to peel."

Don sighed as he walked over to her. "Darl, I can do all this. There will be lots going on tonight so you should go rest. I promise I have this under control."

"I know you can do this." Meryl said pulling his head down to kiss his lips. "I like cooking with you; I miss it. Please let me help. I will be resting; I'll be sitting here and peeling potatoes."

Don knew moments like these might be fleeting; and he could never resist her. "Why can't I resist you?"

"I love that about you." Meryl winked as he handed her washed potatoes and a peeler. "So, what's your first step with the lamb?"

Don went back to his cooking station putting the lamb in the dutch oven then olive oil. "Brown these first."

"Babe!" Meryl exclaimed as she continued peeling potatoes. "You put the oil in, then heat it and THEN you put the lamb in."

Don rolled his eyes. "I've got this."

"Okay." Meryl said as she watched what he was doing. "Are you going to cut the carrots and onions?"

Don nodded as he got the items out. "Yes, ma'am."

"Lamb browning okay?" Meryl asked as she watched him.

Don looked into the pot. "Looking good. See, I DO know what I'm doing."

"Just trying to find your flaws, babe." Meryl flirted.

Don started to chop the vegetables. "Good luck with that, Darl."

"Oh, I think I know some." Meryl watched him as his eyes are watering while chopping the onions. "You should chop them with the water running like I taught you so that the onions don't affect you that way." Don started to rub his eyes and Meryl jumped up to wipe his eyes with a towel. "You are going to make it worse rubbing your onion soaked hands over your eyes."