Chapter 16

Meryl was paving back and forth in the small room where she was questioned with Officer Gray. "Has there been any word on my husband?"

"It will take awhile until there is any word, Mrs. Gummer." Officer Gray said going over to her and placing his hand low on her back. "Come sit down."

Meryl immediately moved from his touch. There was just something about him what made her uncomfortable. "My statement didn't take that long."

"Well, they had to book him first." The officer said not taking his eyes of her breasts that were revealed by her swimsuit.

Meryl was becoming more uncomfortable and pulled her cover up dress up to cover herself more. "My eyes are up here, Officer Gray." Meryl said sternly. "Book him? But were trying to get the charges dropped."

"They still have to book him; finger prints, handcuffs and everything."  Officer Gray explained. "So, I take it that you are a Tammy Wynette fan."

Meryl shook her head. "I don't know what you mean."

"You know, the whole stand by your man thing. I read the article. He's stepping out on you with women 40 years younger than you." The officer looked at her breasts again. "I could help you pay him back. You know, sleep with a man 40 years younger than him. Yeah, you're pregnant but we could make it work."

Meryl immediately got up and stared at the officer. "FUCK. OFF. I will wait for MY HUSBAND, ALONE."

***

"Where is she, Michael?" Don asked after running into an empty room. "I thought you said she was in here."

Michael shook his head. "She was. I gave instructions to Officer Gray not to take his eyes off of her. We'll find her."

"We better." Don seethed; his worry for his wife had increased. "If ANYTHING has happened to my wife there will be hell to pay."

***

"Dana David Streep." Meryl said walking into the room where her brother was being held. "If Mama and Daddy could see you now they would be so fucking disappointed in you. See how you treated MY HUSBAND; OUR home. I am so unbelievable disgusted right now."

Dana shook his head. "Here, I thought you were coming to say you were wrong and drop these fucking bogus charges."

"Bogus charges?!" Meryl exploded as she threw her hands up in the air. "You want to talk about bogus charges? Okay, we will talk about bogus fucking chargers. How about that bogus phone call you placed to the police telling them that your 'crazy brother-in-law' was abusing me and holding me captive? My fucking God, Dana! Do you have any idea what you have caused? Do you have any idea how this can ruin the ONLY man that I have EVER wanted to marry? The ONLY man I have ever wanted to have children with? Have you even THOUGHT about what this would do to OUR children? TO ME?!"

Dana shook his head. "He was fucking 20 year olds, Meryl! While you are risking your life for HIS baby."

"OUR baby." Meryl hissed. "Holy hell, Dana! You should know these stories are shit! You should know that he would NEVER EVER do that. This is Don Gummer, we're talking about!"

Dana shook his head. "It was on CNN."

"IT'S BULLSHIT!" Meryl exclaimed. "I WAS WITH HIM WHEN HE WAS BUYING THOSE CONDOMS! I am with him pretty much 24/7! He was fucking ME last night, Dana!"

Dana exploded. "Which he isn't supposed to do. I guess his needs are more important than your health."

"You fucking bastard!" Meryl exclaimed smacking him. "That man has done EVERYTHING for this family. He loves you more than his own brothers. He puts EVERYTHING on hold for the Streeps when they have needed him. He stood up for you at your wedding along with Third. You are making me sick, Dana David. You have NEVER doubted him before! Why now? He has done NOTHING. That man loves me and our children more than anything else in the world. He was even hesitant to do anything last night for fear of hurting me; I insisted. He is all over these fucking news stations because he was trying to protect me and make sure I was safe. I am NOT dropping the charges against you; you fucking bastard. You assault my husband when all he was trying to do was take care of me. You file false charges. You could ruin his professional reputation. You could fucking tear our lives apart! Our lives we have worked so hard to build, TOGETHER, for 34 years!"