Chapter 43

Susie couldn't help but blink back tears at the sight before her as she leaned against the open door of her in-laws makeshift bedroom. She took out her phone and texted her husband to come to his parents bedroom; but to be quiet. "Suze! Everything okay?"

"See for yourself, babe." Susie smiled as she pointed to her in-laws bed.

Henry smiled as he saw his daughter asleep on his father's sleeping chest while his sleeping mother was curled up to their side with her hand on Don's that was holding a sleeping Lily; while his other arm was holding his wife as close to them as possible considering her pregnant belly. Henry quickly took out his phone to take a picture. "This one is definitely going to be framed."

"I have a feeling your parents will have this picture posted everywhere." Susie giggled. "And in your father's studios."

Henry nodded as he laughed. "I'm pretty sure they already have more pictures of her than the rest of us."

"I can't blame them." Susie giggled.

Henry nodded as he pulled her close to his side. "She is pretty cute like her dear 'ole dad; much cuter than the girls."

"Hen." Susie laughed with a kiss to his cheeks. "I love seeing that. I love how she was been..."

Henry lifted her chin and gently kissed her lips. "She's a Gummer, Suze."

"Through and through." Susie agreed. 

Henry was trying not to get emotional. "I'm glad they have this time with her; that Mom has this time with her. She's waited a long time to be a grandmother; and I'm so glad she got to experience it."

"Hey." Susie said holding his head as she pulled away. "She has SO MANY years ahead of her to be a grandma; and to share that with your dad and all of us. She's not going ANYWHERE."

Henry nodded as he took a deep breath and saw his mom start to stir. "Come on, let's go make sure Dad's surprise is all lined up. I don't want to wake them up."

"Lily is like you when she's woken up." Susie smiled as she grabbed his hand. "Cranky."

***

Meryl smiled as she started to wake up and felt her husband stroking her hair meaning he too was awake. She smiled as she tenderly kissed his lips and then Lily's head. "Hi there, handsome."

"Hey, baby." Don smiled with a long and leisurely kiss to her lips. "How are you feeling? You seemed to be sleeping pretty well."

Meryl smiled that of course he noticed that. "Much better. Are you okay? Really? I mean the Weinstein shit and everything?"

"I HATE that he did that to you." Don said strongly. "It pisses me the fuck off; not just for you but for our daughters and for Lily."

Meryl nodded as she kissed her granddaughter's head. "That is why we are all so lucky to have a men like you, and Henry, in our lives. Men who aren't afraid to speak up and stand up for women's rights."

"Until men do then nothing will change." Don acknowledged.

Meryl smiled at him as they sat up. "And that is one of the MANY reasons I love you so damn much."

"I love you, my girl." Don winked. "You're really okay?"

Meryl nodded as she smiled tenderly at him. "I am really okay. I'm glad you slept. You need to be doing more of that."

"I enjoyed napping with my girls." Don teased as he looked down and noticed that Lily was still asleep. "She's still out."

Meryl nodded as she watched their granddaughter sleep. "She feels as protected by her grandpa as the rest of us."