Chapter 45

"Baby, it could just be stress from this fucker." Don said as he kissed her forehead. "I mean either way I am getting you to the hospital; but are you sure you are actually in labor this time? You've thought that before."Meryl gritted down on her teeth as she gripped her stomach in pain. "I'm in labor, Donald! FOR REAL THIS TIME!"

"I'm calling Dr. Taylor." Don said grabbing his phone.

Meryl was quickly losing her patience from the pain of the contractions. "FUCK THIS HURTS AND YOU'RE MAKING A FUCKING PHONE CALL!"

"I want her to be there and ready." Don said; clearly panicking. He kissed her on the forehead quickly. "I'm getting the bag as I call her." Meryl nodded as the tears kept coming. This couldn't be happening. She still had a month left to go. It was too soon. They had come this far and they couldn't be losing the baby now. She was trying to get out of bed when she heard Don wrapping up the phone call and coming to her. "Okay, she is meeting us at the hospital."

Meryl looked up at him in tears. "We can't be losing the baby now, Don."

"We are not losing the baby." Don said helping her up and kissing her hard. "I'm getting you to the hospital...NOW."

Meryl nodded as another contraction took over her whole body. "Ambulance?"

"I'll get you there quicker." Don said as he was clearly panicking.

Meryl sighed as he took out his phone again. "Now, who are you calling?"

"Ross, it's Don Gummer. Do you still have a copy of my car keys locked up for emergencies?" Don asked as he cradled the phone between his ear and shoulder as he helped Meryl out of the bedroom and also carrying the bag. "Okay, good. I need it waiting for us at the curb...NOW. It's an emergency. Thanks." Don put his phone away as he kissed Meryl on the head. "Okay, Ross is going to have the car down there waiting for us. Let's go."

Meryl stopped as she gripped his arm and screamed out in pain. "Fuck, it hurts."

"I know, baby." Don choked holding her close. "Let's go get my girls some help."

***

Don was rushing through traffic as he tried to get his wife to the hospital as quickly as possible. Meryl hadn't let go of his arm as contractions took over her body; which made driving difficult for him, but he didn't care. She was the one going through hell. "We're almost there, Darl. Dr. Taylor will be waiting. I asked her to have a valet ready so I don't have to worry about parking the car."

"It's too soon, Don." Meryl cried. "He's making us lose another baby."

Don blinked past his tears when he knew she was talking about William Walker and the stress from Mann all those years ago; and now again today. "No baby; no, he's not. You both are going to be okay."

"We can't have the baby now." Meryl cried. "It needs longer. Maybe I didn't stay down enough."

Don grabbed her hand and kissed it. "Sweetheart, you crossed the 36 week mark this week. You have done everything right, and perfectly. WHATEVER is happening is NOT your fault. This baby is a Gummer and a Streep; it's impatient and can't wait to come out and meet its mommy."

"It needs 40 weeks." Meryl cried as she held her stomach.

Don's heart was breaking but he was trying to be as positive as possible for his wife. "Baby, IF we do have the baby today it will be fine. Mames was a month early and look at how great she is doing today."

"I tried, Don." Meryl cried as Don pulled up to the hospital. "I really tried."

Don turned and kissed her, hard, on the lips. Grateful that her doctor was waiting with a wheelchair and a nurse. "You have done everything perfectly."