Chapter 12

"Okay baby, we are all packed." Don said walking into the den where he ordered her to the sofa to rest. "Everything you wanted to bring is packed. If you end up needing anything I can do buy it. I'll take everything to the car once the kids leave. Then we can stop and get condoms."

Meryl laughed that at their age they had to buy condoms. "What do you mean stop and get condoms?"

"Well Darl, I have to get them from somewhere." Don chuckled. "That's only if you want to, you know..."

Meryl pulled his head to his and gave him a kiss that left no doubt in his mind what she wanted to. "Of COURSE I do. But, you're just going to go buy condoms?"

"I know it's been awhile, M; but that is generally how this works." Don said making her shake her head at him. "I have to get them somewhere."

Meryl playfully smacked him. "I KNOW that. I mean what if you're recognized? Can't we just ask the kids or something?"

"Mary Louise!" Don exclaimed. "Our babies do NOT need condoms because they do NOT have sex."

Meryl rolled her eyes at her husband. "Mamie has been pregnant you know. I mean I took the girls to get on birth..."

"I know, I know; but I prefer to live in denial." Don laughed. "Give me that, please."

Meryl laughed at him. "Henry?"

"I am NOT going to ask my son for condoms. Disgusting." Don said as they both laughed. "I could ask your brothers."

Meryl's eyes got huge. "GROSS. NOT my brothers."

"Think about the thrill of me going to buy condoms." Don whispered as he kissed her lips. "Looking to see if anyone catches us. Sneaking around. Kind of makes me feel like a kid again; this time I get to do it with you. That's pretty damn thrilling."

Meryl giggled at him. "I'm glad, baby. If buying condom makes us feel young then what about baby Gummer?"

"I've felt young and in love all over again since we found out about this crazy surprise." Don said with a kiss to her belly. "So, we stop at the drugstore?"

Meryl nodded as she ran her fingers through his hair. "It is MORE than worth the risk of being caught if it means I get to be with you."

"Only if it's safe and feels okay." Don reminded her.

Meryl nodded as she kissed his lips one more time. "Oh, it will; trust me, baby."

***

"I'm so sad I can't drink martinis with my baby on her 21st Birthday." Meryl complained as she hugged Louisa as Don was making his daughter a martini.

Louisa laughed at her mother. "Who knew my father would have knocked up my mother at this stage?"

"And what stage would that be, Louisa Jacobson?" Don teased his youngest daughter. "The incredibly wise and intelligent and handsome stage?"

Louisa rolled her eyes. "Sure, Daddy."

"Don't worry, Mom; we will get her wasted." Grace said wrapping her arm around her baby sister.

Meryl shook her head. "I didn't say I wanted THAT!"

"I'll take care of them, Aunt Meryl." Susie assured her future mother-in-law. "I'm the DD."

Henry laughed. "I'm on Lily duty."

"And we're going to find you a cute guy." Mamie teased.

Don looked up from making martinis. "He better not be coming back to MY house."