Chapter 17

"Is he okay?" Meryl asked concerned. "He was really attacked; you can obviously see how awfully he was beaten."

Don helped Meryl sit up; and rubbed her back to try and keep her calm. "Let's let him explain, sweetheart."

"All your scans came back clean." The doctor said causing Meryl to smile and sigh in relief. "No broken bones. Some bruised ribs but NOTHING at all to be concerned about."

Meryl held his hand tighter. "Brain bleeds? Bone chips? Several years ago another maniac beat him up and he had bleeding, swelling and chips in his brain."

"Baby, my head was bashed against a cinder block wall, then." Don tried to calm her down. "The impacts today weren't nearly as hard."

Meryl shook her head. "There was still impact."

"We are aware of your history, Mr. Gummer; so we did thorough and complete checks. You are fine in that area." The doctor explained. "However, you do need stitches in several places across your face. I want you to ice and we'll give you something for the pain."

Don shook his head vehemently. "My wife is having complications. I'm not taking anything that might knock me out in case she needs me."

"I'm fine; really, sweetheart." Meryl said shaking her head. "If we could have that prescription for him I would appreciate it."

The doctor nodded. "Of course. Your face will look much worse before it will look better."

"It's always looked pretty bad." Don said trying to joke; but no earning a laugh from his wife. "That's fine; we aren't going anywhere anyway."

The doctor smiled. "We'll get you stitched up; and you'll be on your way."

"Wait." Don said strongly. "My wife hasn't been checked out yet. She is 6 months pregnant with a high risk pregnancy. She has gestational diabetes and her eclampsia has been downgraded back to preeclampsia. She passed out from stress for several minutes. She never hit her head or anything; but she still passed out."

Meryl stroked his fingers she was holding. "Don, I told you I'm fine."

"And I said I would only get checked out if you were." Don said strongly as she nodded. Don then looked at the doctor. "I feel ridiculous to be in this bed while she is 6 months pregnant. Can we get a bed for her?"

The doctor nodded. "Of course. I will page the OBGYN on call. I'll also be back in with sutures."

"Thank you." Don smiled as the doctor walked away then looked back over at Meryl. "And thank you."

Meryl tenderly kissed his lips. "If it helps keep you calm then I will gladly do it."

"I don't know if ANYTHING will help keep me calm today." Don sighed.

Meryl leaned her head on his shoulder. "Me either, baby."

***

"I'm right here, babe." Meryl said holding Don's hand after the doctor gave him a local around the areas that would be stitched.

Don winked at her. "I'm fine, Darl."

"Don, your wounds do look pretty infected." The doctor said looking closely.

Meryl sighed as she shook her head. "I knew it."

"One reason why I gave you the local is so I can clean it really well and remove debris." The doctor said as he began to clean the wounds and remove the debris.

Meryl kissed his head and ran her fingers through his hair. "I'm so sorry you are having to go through this."

"I'm fine, baby." Don tried to say through gritted teeth. "It was worth it; for you."