Chapter 22

Don looked around and was happy with himself. He wasn't able to get comfortable on the sofa with Meryl to nap like she was, like he knew she wanted him to do, so when he was afraid he was disturbing her by tossing and turning he decide to get up and heat dinner up for the both of them. He even set the dining room table for two with candles. He had wanted their little getaway to Connecticut to be a romantic one; and unfortunately pretty much ever since they got there they had been dealing with one shit storm after another. He had decided to heat the chicken and rice casserole their housekeeper had prepared for them up in the oven, as well as the homemade bread she prepared; and he made a salad to go with it. He then poured lemonade in their glasses. After making sure things were how he wanted; he went to wake up his wife.

***

Meryl stirred when she felt lips on her face. She smiled as she opened her eyes. "Hey there, handsome."

"Hi, beautiful." Don said stroking her hair. "I'm sorry to wake you up; but dinner is ready and I figured you would be hungry."

Meryl laughed at how well he knew her. "That I am; but what are you doing cooking dinner? YOU are supposed to be resting."

"Calm down there, my protector." Don winked. "I just heated up one of the casseroles that were in the refrigerator. Salad was already mixed up. I also heated up some of that homemade bread."

Meryl nodded. "I'm serious Don Man, you NEED to rest."

"I did for awhile." Don said helping her stand up. "I couldn't get comfortable; and was afraid I would disturb you so I decided to just give up and fix dinner. I thought maybe after dinner we could lay in bed and watch TV."

Meryl followed his lead into the dining room. "That sounds amazing, sweetheart, but how are you going to get comfortable?"

"I'll take some Advil or something." Don said pulling her chair out for her. "First, I want you to eat."

Meryl gave him a weak smile; the smell of the casserole was already getting to her. "Thank you, baby; you outdid yourself."

"I just heated up food, Darl." Don winked as he watched her push the food around on her plate.

Meryl smiled at him. "You set the scene for romance; and it's wonderful."

"Darl, are you okay?" Don asked as she went green.

Meryl immediately stood up knocking the chair down as she began to waddle, quickly, out of the room. "SICK."

"FUCK!" Don sighed. "It's chicken! What is wrong with me?!"

***

Don immediately followed his wife into the downstairs bathroom; just kneeling down behind her caused him quite a bit of pain but he didn't want her to know. He shook his head as she managed to talk in the midst of getting sick. "Shouldn't be...kneeling. I'm fine...go rest."

Don sighed as he held her hair back and rubbed her back. "I'm fine; just get it out, Darl. Have you been feeling bad again?"

"Off and on." Meryl croaked, taking the wet washcloth he offered her once she indicated she was done. "I'm sorry, I ruined dinner."

Don kissed her forehead as he wiped the tears that always appeared when she threw up. "You did no such thing. I'm the one whose sorry. I should have known better than to heat up a chicken casserole for you. Chicken never sets well, I know that. I'm sorry, Darl."

"Don." Meryl sighed. "Baby, you don't control this damn morning sickness. I thought I was past the poultry aversion I guess not."

Don kissed her forehead again as he flushed the toilet and then began to stand up. "Let's get you cleaned up, some toast and broth maybe."