Chapter 34

"Why are we coming out to your studio?" Meryl asked holding her husband's hand as he held Lily in the other arm. "The kids are all out doing wedding stuff; we could take a nap with Lily Bean."

Don was relieved that in a few minutes he would no longer have to keep this secret from his wife. "I really wanted your opinion on something I am working on."

"Me? Really?" Meryl's face lit up.

Don nodded. "Besides, you've been off your feet all morning. I thought you deserved to get out of the house for a little bit. You know, good behavior."

"Maybe I could get in trouble for some bad behavior later." She whispered with a kiss to Don's cheek.

Don winked at her as he covered Lily's ears. "Not in front of our granddaughter; but I like the way you think, Mrs. Gummer."

"So, what is it that you..." Meryl couldn't believe her eyes when she opened the door to Don's studio and was met with a chorus of cheers and people yelling surprise.

Don bent down behind her and whispered in her ear. "SURPRISE, beautiful!"

"What?!" Meryl asked in glee and surprise. "Carrie?!"

Carrie Fisher came over and hugged her dear friend. "Billie, Gary and I couldn't miss this."

"Should have known you and Gummer wouldn't slow down at your age." Tracey Ullman said hugging Meryl. "You look fantastic."

Meryl couldn't believe every that was there: all of their kids, their nieces and nephews, Maude and Third, Mary, Liz and Larry, Mike and Maggie, Jane and Brad and Roy. Everything in Don's studio had been moved to the side as chairs and tables were brought in. She looked around and saw all the presents, cake and her favorite foods; there was NOTHING that she had an aversion to at the moment. "You did this?"

"Guilty." Don smiled as he handed their granddaughter off to her mother. "With lots of help from our kids."

Meryl smiled as she pulled him in for a kiss. "You're the best, Gummer."

"Let her go, son." Brad laughed coming over to the couple and hugging them.

Meryl was surprised by the hug from her mother-in-law. "You look beautiful, sweetheart."

"Thank you, Jane." Meryl smiled. "Thank you both for coming all this way."

Brad patted his son on the back. "We wouldn't miss it; how's the face?"

"It's finally starting to look normal." Larry teased walking over to his extended family. "It's about time after 65 years."

Meryl shook her head as she hugged her husband's best friend and his wife. "You knew about this?"

"He needed a woman's touch." Liz teased. "Now, excuse me while I steal our granddaughter from her parents."

Once they were alone Meryl wrapped her arms around her husband's neck. "I can't believe you did this. I didn't need a shower, baby; though I love this. We can afford to buy all the stuff."

"It wasn't about affording it; or even needing it." Don smiled as he stroked her cheek. "You're going to be a mom, again; you deserve all of the fun stuff. Besides, it's almost like starting over."

Meryl tenderly kissed his lips. "You're the only man I want to start over on this journey with."

***

"63 and pregnant." Carrie shook her head as she had one on time with her friend.

Meryl laughed as she sat on the couch and petted Carrie's service dog, Gary. "Are you really surprised?"