Chapter 52

"I'm here." Don said running into his wife's labor and delivery room and right over to her; kissing all over her face, especially her lips. "Thank God you're okay. I was terrified when you weren't in your room."

Meryl immediately felt better now that her husband was there; she was so happy that she cried tears of relief. "I'm so glad you're here; I feel like now I can do this. The longer the time went on the more I was afraid something happened to you. I knew I couldn't do this without you."

"I wouldn't miss this for the world; I'm here now, Darl." Don said as he pushed her hair off her sweaty face. "Why in the hell didn't someone call me?!"

Carrie gave Meryl a look as she rolled her eyes. "Check your phone, lover boy."

"Huh?" Don asked as he took out his phone and saw he had all kinds of texts, voicemails and missed calls. Then he realized his phone was on silent. "Shit! I forgot to take it off silent when M woke up this morning. I'm sorry I wasn't here, baby."

Meryl smiled at him as she stroked his cheek. "You're here now and that's all that matters."

"And I'm not leaving." Don said kissing her lips again as he held her hand tightly; then he looked at Carrie. "How are they?"

Carrie smiled at him. "Perfect. Doctor said everything is going well. Her water broke about an hour ago and they brought us up here; that is when we were trying to call you."

"I'm sorry." Don told Meryl again.

Meryl shook her head as she kissed his hand. "I knew you wouldn't miss it; but I was about ready to send out a search party."

"She's 3 cm dilated; so it will be awhile." Carrie said. "And I'm going to get out of here. I'm in town for the weekend. I'll check in on you."

Don continued to hold his wife's hand as he hugged their friend. "Thank you, Carrie, so much."

"Go easy on her." Carrie whispered in his ear. "She had a feeling this would happen today."

Don looked at his wife then her friend as he nodded. "Thanks again."

"Hurry up and have this baby before I have to leave town; will ya?" Carrie teased Meryl as she kissed her cheek.

Meryl laughed as she hugged her friend. "Thank you so much."

"Take care." Carrie said blowing them kisses as she closed the door.

Once she was gone, Don sat next to Meryl on the bed as he stroked her cheek. "So, you weren't fine."

"Please, don't be mad." Meryl sighed. "I wasn't contracting or anything. I just had a feeling it would start soon. I didn't want to worry you or get you excited if it didn't happen."

Don shook his head as he wiped her sweaty brow with a washcloth that was sitting in a tub on the hospital tray by her bed. "I'm not mad, baby. I'm just so damn relieved you both are alright. When I walked into the room and your bed was gone..."

"I'm so sorry." Meryl sighed. "We really tried to get ahold of you."

Don nodded as he kissed her head over and over again. "Don't be sorry; all that matters is we are going to have a baby."

"Don, good, you're here!" Dr. Taylor said coming into the room. "Now, let's see how far along we are."

***

"AAAAAHHHHHHH!" Meryl screamed as another contraction tore through her body.

Don pressed his forehead against hers as he watched the monitor that analyzed her contractions. "It's almost over, almost over, baby. You're doing so good."