Chapter 19

Don and Meryl relaxed with Lily while Henry put on a new door for them, with tighter security at Don's request; and the girls cleaned up the mess as well as the books and bookshelf. While Don was walking the kids out Meryl was frozen in her spot, right next to the bookshelf. She remembered the fear when she saw her husband go flying into the book case. When she saw him gasp from pain. When she saw the desperate look in his eyes as he tried to get to her but her brother threw him across the room. She couldn't stop the fear and pain that came out in choked sobs. Sure she had cried off and on throughout the day; but she felt like she could finally release the emotions that she had kept bottled up in order to protect Don and the kids all afternoon.

***

Don walked back into the house, making sure the doors were locked and the alarm was on when he went in search of his wife. He was hoping she was still on the sofa where he left her in the den, but sighed when she wasn't. He started to look through the large house wondering where she was. He knew she wouldn't be upstairs as stairs were getting too be too hard for her; and he told her he didn't want her to do stairs without him when her balance was so off. His wonder turned into fear when he saw her in the living area of the kitchen standing by the bookshelf shaking, and sobbing.  Don immediately went over to her when he saw the condition she was in; not wanting her to have a repeat of earlier in the day. "Darl?"

"I thought...thought he..." Meryl sobbed as she was trying to catch her breath.

This was the last thing in the world Don wanted. He wrapped his arm around her; pulling her as close to his body as possible and leading her over to the sofa. "Come on baby, come sit down with me. You need to take some deep breaths, Darl. We can't let you pass out again."

"Thought he was going..." Meryl tried to breathe as they sat down. "To kill you. Never seen him like...that. Reminded me of...James...hurting you."

The last words she said broke his heart. Not that she brought up James; but that she had seen this happen to him too many times and this time it was at the hands of her younger brother. Don needed to calm her down. It was obvious she wasn't going to be able to calm down on her own; she was too worked up. He couldn't let her black out again. No, he wouldn't let that happen again. He could only think of one thing to do. The same thing that always calmed her down. He knew she needed to be reminded he was there wand wasn't going anywhere. He knew she needed to remember that NO one, especially not her brother, would EVER keep him from her. Don pulled her head to his and pressed his lips to hers. He kept moving his, kissing her over and over until her felt her start to relax in his arms. He smiled as he felt her tongue enter his mouth and her arms pull him even closer to her. Don ran his fingers through her hair, stroking the back of her neck, causing her to moan into the kiss. This went on for ever until Don pulled away and placed tender kisses all over her face; finally placing a kiss on her forehead, knowing it made her feel safe and loved and protected. "Better?"

"Much." Meryl smiled at him. "All I could see was you flying through..."

Don placed his finger on her lips. "Shhhhh....I'm going to be okay, sweetheart. I AM okay because you made sure I was checked out."

"He wouldn't let you get to me." Meryl whispered. "He wouldn't let me get to you. He tried to PHYSICALLY take me away from you when I fainted. Then he pushed you away. Then he grabbed my arm so hard I could feel his fingers making an imprint to take me away from you."

Don was wiping her tears. "NO ONE will ever take me away from you. Let me see your arm."

"I don't think there's a bruise." Meryl said as he took off her cardigan. "But I haven't looked."

Don's eyes narrowed when he saw the bruises. "I should have snapped that little shit in two like you said."

"I'm okay." Meryl said running her fingers over his face. "It is NOTHING compared to what he did to you."